Boys X-Country Finishes Magical Run To State

El Modena and the rest of the Century League did fantastically well at the State meet in Fresno last weekend

cross country team ftwThis year, the El Modena Boy’s Cross Country team finished third place in the Century League.  The Vanguards also finished fifth in their division at the CIF California Cross Country Championships in Fresno last weekend.   El Modena finished fifth…in the state.

In one of the most impressive seasons by an El Modena team in recent memory, our boys Cross Country team finished with a very respectable 162 points at the meet, earning fifth place in Division three.  Seniors Sydney Gidabuday and Danny Johnson, Juniors Johnathon Chavez, Adolfo Cruz, and Tony Garcia, and Sophomores Everett Earle and Adam Villela represented the Vanguards in the meet.

The points system works in that the place finished for each of the top five runners from a school was taken, and the five numbers were added up.  The team with the lowest number of points would in theory have the highest achieving runners, and win.  El Modena runners finished 7th, 9th, 42nd, 49th, and 55th, for a total of 162.

Stealing the show were Gidabuday and Villela, who finished 7th and 9th, out of a field of 196.  Gidabuday ran at a sub 5 minute pace for a time of 15:23, and Villela, who finished second among sophomores, crossed the finish line at 15:50.

El Mo came out of the meet as a force to be reckoned with next year, as the team returns 5 of its members next year.

The Century League as a whole did amazingly well, being the only league in the area to place three schools in the state meet, and all three ran impressively.  On top of El Mo’s fantastic showing, Brea-Olinda Sophomore Austin Tamagno ran a time of 15:03, just a second behind the winner (and being the only Sophomore to best Villela’s 15:50), and the Wildcats finished just above El Modena overall, earning Division 3 bronze.

Athletes from Canyon, Foothill, and Villa Park also competed, with the Comanche team finishing fourth in Division two.  Garret Corcoran, a senior from Villa Park, won the D-II race.