Filed under Columns, Showcase

Tackling a Mental Monster

Information on how to properly address/conquer mental illness

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tackling a Mental Monster

Understanding mental illness is a necessity

flickr.com under creative commons license

As mental health awareness spreads and the world gradually grows more understanding of those struggling with mental disorders, there are still multiple issues that need to be addressed. A negative stigma of mental illnesses and their treatment still remains, and needs to be abominated. We need to start recognizing mental disorders as valid conditions, not as mere excuses or exaggerations, so that the people dealing with them are able to accept themselves and recover. We need to cultivate a broader reach to those in desperate need of help.

If you or someone in your life is battling a mental illness, you know how hard it can be. Please encourage those around you, validate their pain, and be supportive during their recovery process, even if that involves medication and/or therapy. What they need is love, not criticism or mockery. As someone with personal experience, I cannot emphasize this enough. If someone opens up to you about their mental disorder, be sensitive to their needs, but do not treat them like they are any less of a person. Do not belittle or patronize them. Do not assume they are telling you to gain attention, but because they need your help.  Lift them up so they can better gain control over their life. The last thing they need is to feel ashamed of themselves and their mental health journey. 

Many people are discouraged from taking medications that they may be in need of, such as antidepressants, anti-anxiety medication or mood stabilizers because others will tell them it is an unnatural route to take. On the contrary, if someone was told that he or she was diabetic, they would not refuse to take insulin. Mental disorders are often caused or at least amplified by a chemical or hormonal imbalance that can only be regulated by the use of medication. However, that does not undermine the importance of therapy. If meds are prescribed by an expert (such as a psychiatrist), and their necessity is verified, they should be taken and accompanied by therapy for the best results. Taking medication does not make one inferior if it is necessary. It is important that if you or someone you know is prescribed with medication for their mental health, that you keep this in mind. 

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Tackling a Mental Monster”

1. Fatima Shamsi on January 2nd, 2016 12:43 am

Mental health and the importance of health care in regards to mental ailments should be emphasized in our society! Great job, Christina. Your passion for writing can be seen through the hard effort put in your articles.

2. Celia Janes on January 2nd, 2016 1:56 pm

This is really good advice for people with mental illness and those who know someone with one. Your article is really truthful and inspiring!

3. Scarlet Edwards on January 4th, 2016 10:57 pm

I know from experience how difficult mental illness can be, and you know just how to treat the situation. Your articles are really inspiring, Christina.

4. Jordan Cowdell on January 5th, 2016 12:18 am

This is incredible. We as readers can see the emotion so strongly in this piece as you take us through a journey of people trying to make it through just one more day, and even share a glimpse of your own journey. Definitely served as a wake up call to me to be more understanding and sensitive.

*

• Editor's Picks

Lemon Drops, Bubblegum, and Summer Salt

• Tackling a Mental Monster

Music

Lady Gaga Makes History

• Tackling a Mental Monster

Columns

Trump vs the Crazies

• Tackling a Mental Monster

Feature

The Foodie Space

• Tackling a Mental Monster

Columns

Yellow: La couleur du changement

• Tackling a Mental Monster

Beginning a Bullet Journal

• Tackling a Mental Monster

What a RUN-derful Life

• Tackling a Mental Monster

Feature

Athlete Feature – Mikayla Reyes

• Tackling a Mental Monster

Walking for the Cure with Girls League

• Columns

Social Media and the Presidential Image

Tackling a Mental Monster