Service on Thanksgiving

Here are the ways people are giving back to our the less fortunate and our veterans this holiday season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Service on Thanksgiving

Students hold boxes of items being sent to our troops over seas.

Mr. Widdall

Mr. Widdall

Mr. Widdall

It’s that time of the year again everyone; is in the spirit of giving. The thing that brings the most holiday cheer to people is must certainly giving back to their community. Speaking of which, here are a few ways people our reaching out to others this holiday season.

Food drives are very popular during the seasons including Thanksgiving and Christmas. The purpose of the majority of food drives is to ask people for donations of canned foods which eventually are distributed to the homeless and less fortunate families that can’t afford store bought meals for the holidays. Here are some organizations that are hosting canned food drives: El Modena, The Friendly Center, Second Harvest Food Bank, and more

Unfortunately Orange County has a large population of homeless people, but on the bright side there are numbers of organizations who exist to help feed, clean, and cloth those who are in need. Some of these organizations are Heart Out Reach, Mary’s Kitchen, Alive again Homeless Rescue, Holiday Hope: First Presbyterian Church, etc.

Giving back is often over looked when it comes to our veterans and those who have served our country. This year during this thanksgiving the community of Villa Park allowing veterans to stay in their homes with them during this Thanksgiving. It is called Villa Park Marine Thanksgiving. To show appreciation, certain associations are giving thanks to current troops stationed overseas. El Mo’s very own English teacher Mr. Widdall an English teacher at El Modena is our supervisor for Support our Soldiers. Students are encouraged to bring little things such as wipes, snacks, and books or magazines to send to those fighting for our country.

Now is the time to get involved with your community and serve others this thanksgiving. It isn’t about how much you give, it is about the heart you give with.