Signing Into The Future

Seniors Cameryn O’Grady and Christa Angers officially commit to play softball at their dream schools

Back to Article
Back to Article

Signing Into The Future

Seniors Cameryn O'Grady (left) and Christa Angers (right) officially committing to the University of New Mexico and Colorado State University-Pueblo for softball

via Cameryn O'Grady

via Cameryn O'Grady

via Cameryn O'Grady

Senior Short-Stop Cameryn O’Grady started playing softball when she was seven years old. She was born into a baseball/softball family so the sport ran through her veins. Playing for the past ten years, O’Grady has been apart of several travel ball teams such as Knuckleheads, Banzai, Firecrackers, TeamSmith, TS Elite, and Explosion as well as being a part of the Varsity Softball team here at El Modena. She has won several awards like 2nd Team All League in 2013, 1st Team All League in 2015, Rookie of the Year in 2013, and Woodbridge Classic All-Tournament Team. Through her obvious achievements and dedication, O’Grady has proven not only to be a force to be reckon with but she has also proven to be a well rounded athlete as well through her endeavors playing baseball, track and field, and softball. Because of these wonderful attributes, O’Grady has been scouted by over ten schools but the University of New Mexico captured her heart and won her signature.

Frontline: When did you first decide that the University of New Mexico was right for you and why have you chosen this school to commit too?

Cameryn O’Grady: I always knew that I wanted to play college softball at a Division 1 school but I hadn’t decided on where exactly I wanted to go. I wanted a place that was close to home but not too close. The weather is perfect; not too hot and not too cold. It’s a mid-size town so it’s just like living in Orange County which was a plus. I love all of the coaching staff and everything they have to offer; and the beautiful campus was icing on the cake. I had just came home from my unofficial visit and I spent the whole week comparing the different schools and different offers. It was Super-Bowl weekend and I had finally made up the decision that I wanted to go to the University of New Mexico.

FL: How has softball impacted your life for better and for worse?

CO: Softball has made a huge impact on my life. It has taken away my friends and also brought me close to new ones. Time management between school 5 days a week, practice and games 7 days a week, and trying to fit a social life in between was the hardest part about it. But in the end, it all paid off.

FL: While using your softball scholarship, what do you hope to get out of your college education?

CO: I plan to major in Sports Medicine and have a career being an athletic trainer. I love sports and I want to have a career that will allow me to be involved with other athletes.

FL: Does your family support your softball career? and if so, in what ways?

CO: My family supports me in everything I do. They know I am a hard worker and I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. They support me both physically, mentally, and financially. The constant traveling for games, buying new equipment, and taking time out of their day to support me is why I am so grateful for everything they do for me.

FL: What has softball taught you about life and about yourself?

CO: Softball has taught me that nothing is easy  in life. Things are going to get hard and you’re going to have to overcome obstacles. Recently it has taught me to be patient; some things are only fixed with time. I have to learn how to be mentally strong and not let injuries or mistakes take advantage of me.

Senior Outfielder and 1st Baseman Christa Angers started her softball career at the age of four adding, “My mom played softball and my dad played baseball so it was inevitable for me to join as well”. Outside of playing for El Modena’s softball and track and field team, Angers also plays for her travel ball team, Firecrackers. She dedicates most of her life to softball and because of that commitment she won the award of being the Best Offensive Player. Her achievements and dedication to the game caught the eyes of schools such as Texas A&M and Hawaii Pacific University. Angers turned down her other offers to pursue her dream of playing for Colorado State University-Pueblo in the upcoming Fall 2016 school year.

Frontline: When did you first decide that Colorado State University-Pueblo was right for you and why have you chosen this school to commit too?

Christa Angers: I verbally committed the summer going into my Junior year of high school. I fell in love with the campus and the town surrounding it along with its people. Their softball team is tremendous and they have a great Business Management program. I thought to myself, what’s not to love?

CA: Softball has impacted my life by teaching me what it means to be a leader. I learned how to make friendships that will last forever and how to surround myself with only the best people. It also taught me how to get used to waking up at 5 a.m. for 6-7 hour practices. It takes away a lot of my free time so I do not get to go out to a lot of games of parties like most high school students, but, in the end, it is all worth it.

CA: I plan to major in Business Management and hopefully work my way into the music industry.

CA: I am so grateful for everything my parents have sacrificed for me. They support me 100% of the time and in everything I do. I could not ask for a better set of people who I cannot only call my parents but also my rocks and my support group.

CA: Softball has taught me how to become a better leader and role model. It has taught me discipline and structure and that not everything I do will be done to perfection. Being a part of this sport taught me that it is okay to fall sometimes because I will always have my teammates to help pick me back up. I could not have asked for a better way to grow up and live a life.