Chronic Cost of College

Debating whether higher education is the correct investment according to the prices

Though+college+tuition+is+high%2C+the+experience+you+gain+is+worth+it.+

via Flickr

Though college tuition is high, the experience you gain is worth it.

Most seniors and juniors in high school are planning on attending college because they believe that education leads to a better future. This notion is well proven and true, but does the price tag of college matter in regards to each individual’s future? Each decision in life comes with a price, and so the “worth” of college is the skyrocketing costs which are funded by loans, debts, and long, tedious periods of payments.

In recent times, college has become quite similar to a business, especially in the United States. The infrastructure of college resembles the average enterprise. Both have a board of directors, a president, and a group of “employees” divided into academic administrations.

College does not train any individual for the job market, the real world, or generating revenue. Universities simply give their graduates a greater chance of becoming part of a high-paying career.

College is costly but most students receive financial aid and do not pay the full sticker price. It is beneficial in experience and academic enlightenment; both of which are essential to development.

Unlike high school, it provides a larger amount of freedom in expression, interest, and independent study catered to each learner. One might argue that a high school education is sufficient for academic purposes. There is no career specialization in these four years or any “real world” experience. A high school diploma is worth nothing compared to a college diploma because one does not pay for the high school experience.

In reality, higher education drowns each student in debt and payments but also gives them a higher statistic of paying it off with a solid career pathway. It truly expands the horizon of intellectual development as long as each student accepts the responsibilities of career specialization.