Spirit Week thus far…

A class-by-class analysis of how Spirit Week is adding up so far

Hannah Sutherland, Online Manager

“The seniors will win because they are seniors.”

Concerning Spirit Week at El Modena, this statement has rung true throughout the years with few exceptions. No one can exactly explain why, but the popular belief is that seniors winning every year ensures that each class wins at least once. As Spirit Week ensues this school year, the punch that each class has packed thus far has threatened the seniors’ first place place security, and the results of the week remain an enigma.

What the Freshmen of Oz lack in spirit, they make up for in decorations. The 200 building, to say the least, is decked out. Posters donning everything from lines and characters from “The Wizard of Oz” to teachers’ faces are…everywhere. Yellow brick road? Check. Life-sized Dorothy poster? Check. Although their performances at the lunchtime competitions (including their own) have been less than impressive, the freshman class seem to know the name of the game, and their superior building means that they should not be ruled out completely as a serious competitive entity. Three fourth place rankings at lunch shouldn’t stop them from giving their all this Spirit Week.

“Freshmen of Oz”

Strengths: Superior building decorations, solid “Wizard of Oz” theme.

Weaknesses: Three fourth place rankings at each lunchtime competition this week, low spirit level at lunchtime competitions.

As far as the Surfin’ Sophomores are concerned, Spirit Week is sure to be a giant step up from their fourth place title last year as A Freshman’s Life (“A Bug’s Life”-themed). To say the least, this class means business. Not only are their shirts easily recognizable with their Endless Summer logo in original colors, but their theme is perfectly epitomized through their decorations on the 300 Building. Surfboards, beach balls, palm trees; you name it, they’ve got it. During lunch, their competitors have cranked out nothing higher than second place, but their spirit is truly expressed in how loud they scream. Oftentimes, their chants will cause the senior class to join in, often resulting in a “We can’t hear you!” from the twelfth graders. Their momentum at this point is solid, and if they can keep this up, they can pose a real threat to all other classes, including the seniors.

Yellow brick road? Check. Life-sized Dorothy poster? Check. Although their performances at the lunchtime competitions (including their own) have been less than impressive, the freshman class seem to know the name of the game, and their superior building means that they should not be ruled out completely as a serious competitive entity. ”

“Surfin’ Sophomores”

Strengths: Superior building decorations, rockin’ t-shirts and sweatshirts, loud screams at lunch time activities.

Weaknesses: Nothing higher than second place during lunch, ambiguous theme makes it hard to perform a cohesive skit.

The Jungle Juniors seem to have nowhere to go but up this year, since their steady rise from 3rd to 2nd place in the previous two years. So far, they seem to have been able to keep up the momentum from last years’ hype and established a sold presence this year. Today’s lunchtime competition was their first first place nab of the week. Their building, needless to say, has all the trimmings to match their jungle theme. The most unique parts happen to be the signs on the teachers’ doors, such as “Conners’ Cave” or “Kingman’s Kingdom,” and their mural, which looks almost Rainforest Cafe-esque, is far superior to the other classes. Their t-shirts, as one might expect, feature the words “This is our Jungle!” among a field of green. At lunch, their volume seems lower than it should be, but it hasn’t stopped them from showing their spirit. Like their sophomore cohorts, the juniors have an interpretive theme, meaning they are not restricted to redoing a movie plot for their skit. They seem to master this well though, considering their success last year as Camp Sophs’mores.

“Jungle Juniors”

Strengths: Strong momentum from last year’s results, detailed mural, superior t-shirts.

Weaknesses: Need to step up their lunchtime game, spirit section not as loud as they should be, minimal building decorations.

The senior class seems to be the class all the others aspire to emulate…and to defeat. The seniors have chosen wisely this year as far as theme goes, but less so when it comes to interpretation. The District 12th Graders, a theme borrowed from “The Hunger Games,” could have chosen a strict or loose interpretation of their theme, by either copying all elements verbatim from “The Hunger Games” franchise in their shirts, decorations, and skit, or by using the theme as merely a taking off point for other spiritous avenues. They have chose the latter. This has been reflected in their lacking building decorations and mural, and their lack of faithfulness to all things “The Hunger Games.” What have they done well? Well, no other class has been able to match their dominance during the lunchtime competitions. Two 1st place wins including a 3rd place one today have put them on top in this area. The screams and yelps from the large, loud senior class during lunch have been deafening. The class has managed to stay uniform by faithfully sporting their t-shirts from previous years each day this week. It is a grand mystery as to what they will bring to the table for Friday’s skit and carnival and how they will take their theme to the next level.

“District 12th Graders”

Strengths: Hearts set on a Spirit Week win, strong presence at lunch every day in screams and competition performance, solid theme with much source material.

Weaknesses: Beating around “The Hunger Games” bush, inferior building decorations.

I apologize for my occasional glaring ignorance.

Let’s be real.

Historically speaking, the senior class has almost always won. Almost. If this weren’t the case, I would say that the Spirit Week win is a toss up between the sophomore and junior class. If the freshmen manage to pull their act together, and the seniors take some initiative, then this could make for an interesting Spirit Week.