Duolingo: learning languages quickly and effectively

Duolingo is one of the best methods to learn a foreign language

Duolingo sharpens translation skills between languages

screenshot via Hannah Sutherland

Hannah Sutherland, Online Manager

New on the App Store is Duolingo, a free app that is geared towards teaching and sharpening your foreign language skills. Duolingo is a fun, easy way to learn or practice a new language in a minimal amount of time.

Your first step is to choose from one of the twelve languages Duolingo has to offer, which range from Portuguese to Swedish. Once chosen, you are given a placement test to measure your current aptitude in the language. From there, you take simple twenty-question quizzes which teach and review basic vocabulary, sentence structure, translation, and speaking skills. You can even set pacing goals for yourself to play for as many minutes or hours per day you want.

A recent study conducted by the City University of New York and the University of South Carolina showed that an average of thirty-four hours spent on Duolingo was equivalent to one full semester of university-level language education. ”

One of the great features of this app is the fact that it doesn’t feel like you’re learning a language, but rather just playing a game. Since it’s non-competitive, meaning you don’t play against anyone, you really have the chance to learn a language at your own pace. Duolingo will even send you reminders every day to keep you on track. And, the app offers free mobility through all levels of difficulty and separate tests to work on your weak skills.

A recent study conducted by the City University of New York and the University of South Carolina showed that an average of thirty-four hours spent on Duolingo was equivalent to one full semester of university-level language education. If by chance you played an hour each day, you could theoretically complete eleven weeks worth of college-level foreign-language work in just thirty-four days.  Effective, fun, and effortless, Duolingo is one of the fastest avenues to foreign-language mastery.