Girl, You’re Gonna Carry That Weight

Emma Sulkowicz carries around mattress she was raped on until her assaulter is expelled.

Lily Sanz, Editor-in-Chief

According to oneinfourusa.org, nearly one in every four college women have reported surviving rape or attempted rape, and on average, five percent of women on college campuses have experienced rape or attempted rape every year.

These statistics, goes without saying, are terribly daunting and dramatically tragic, and this situation is nothing new. However, what is new, thankfully, is the amount of recognition this painful issue is finally receiving.

This increase of awareness has already sparked some very interesting counter attacks on campus rape, a major one being the Violence Against Women Act in 2013 which provides various grants for women who are sexually assaulted. Along with law awareness, individuals are becoming a voice in raising awareness for this issue, specifically Emma Sulkowicz.

Emma Sulkowicz, a senior at Columbia University, was raped her sophomore year at Columbia by a fellow classmate of her’s in her own dorm room. Her assaulter was accused by two other women, yet in every case, he was not found guilty.

Now, after two years, Sulkowicz has decided to raise her voice on the matter by making it her topic for her senior thesis, where she will carry the mattress she was raped on around campus until her assaulter is expelled. She has titled this piece “Carry That Weight.”

What’s been extremely unique about this, aside from the fact that she has been carrying around a twin-sized mattress around campus, is that many students are helping Sulkowicz with her burden by helping her carry her mattress. Apart from students helping, professors have also been very respectful and supportive of her.

Hopefully, Sulkowicz’s voice will be heard, and her assaulter’s expulsion will begin a ripple affect throughout all universities.