8th Grade Visits

The McPherson Meteors and Santiago Santanas Get to Know El Modena Culture

Three weeks ago, hundreds of new faces that will soon become a part of our Vanguard family came to campus to feel the spirit of the El Modena experience. Guided by members of ASB and representatives for clubs and sports, these future Vanguards explored their interests before registering for their first high school classes.

Eighth grade visits began on March 2nd, when just over 100 McPherson Meteors spent an hour touring El Modena. ASB members organized the students into five groups and took them to see sports showcases, student performances, clubs, and career pathways around campus.

One excited Meteor, Dexter Casey, says his favorite part about visiting El Modena was learning about the engineering and culinary arts pathways. He tells Frontline, “Engineering has always interested me. Going through YouTube, everything that [engineers] make in videos… it interests me.”

Two days after McPherson came, around 500 Santanas visited and learned about all that El Modena has to offer. They toured in even larger groups, filling the library, gym, and quad with interested students.

All the while, Color Guard performed and our band could be heard playing music for students while they rotated stations.

One Santana, Karen Tran, says her favorite part was seeing Color Guard and Band, which impressed her as the music and performances welcomed her to campus.

Many eighth graders who stepped foot onto campus expressed their interest in getting involved in their future education at El Mo, and we are glad they will be the ones to carry on the Vanguard legacy.