Bye Bye COVID!

Bye Bye COVID!

March 13, 2020 is a day that will go down in infamy for many, especially El Modena High School students and staff.  The date marks the last “normal” day of school since the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic.  But with every rise comes a dramatic fall.

Students and teachers alike patiently waited for some form of normalcy, and then seven months later, the new abnormal arrived.  In October, students were allowed to return to campus on certain days based on alphabetical order of their last names.  Instead of a feeling of community though, there were two lunches, friends at school on different days, masks, plexiglass, and computer screens all around. Most classes did not have more than 5 students and the campus was quiet and desolate.

After January of this year, with state restrictions lessening, more students returned to campus and some classes may have up to about 10 masked, socially distanced students, giving teachers some form of life in their classrooms.  ASB hosted Spirit Week, PAL has held some events, EMTV Broadcast continues, and recently, some senior events have been planned. These events, combined with a campus partially filled with students, gives hope for next school year and beyond.

Additionally, with the revitalization of most sports after school in February, students have been able to leave the confines of their rooms to get exercise while pursuing their passions.  Families are able to attend games as well, which has increased school spirit tremendously.

While COVID restrictions are currently being enforced even in sports that are typically socially distanced, perhaps El Modena’s sports will return to normal in the coming school year and special playoffs and finals that have been cancelled can have the opportunity to return.

With the COVID-19 vaccines now becoming available for citizens as young as 16 years old, students are beginning to feel more confident that the spread of the virus is slowing down and that they will return to in-person instruction for the 2021-2022 school year.

Students and teachers at El Modena have navigated their ways through one of the toughest school years in recent history. Next year, students and teachers wanting to return to a sense of normalcy will be inspired to overcome the lasting scars of COVID and pursue the kind of school year that has traditionally defined the high school experience.