FEATURE STORY ON ZANE METOYER

Zane Metoyer Feature: The Cheetah

Junior Zane Metoyer and his 7on7 team Real Speed travelled to Nevada to compete in a competitive tournament.

By: Nick Mascaro

“Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing.”  For junior Zane Metoyer, he has abided by this mantra throughout his high school career.  Metoyer was born in Orange County in 2002, and has lived there ever since. Growing up, Metoyer played soccer and ran track, which is where he developed his speed.  In eighth grade, another sport attracted his attention. The first time Metoyer ever picked up a football was when he tried out for Santiago Middle School’s flag football team.

Metoyer excelled in flag football, and immediately fell in love with the sport.  His speed and quickness he gained from playing soccer and running track allowed him to find success playing football.  Once high school rolled around, there was no doubt in Metoyer’s mind that he would be a force for El Mo’s football program.  As a freshman, Metoyer played football along with three other sports, cross country, soccer, and track. Metoyer’s love for football continued to grow after his freshman year, and eventually, he gave up soccer and cross country to focus solely on football and track.

His sophomore year, Metoyer earned some playing time at the varsity level at the slot receiver position.  That offseason, Metoyer blended track and weightlifting together to improve his speed and strength. His junior year was his first full season at the varsity level, starting all 11 games for the Vanguards.  

Metoyer led the team in receptions (27), receiving yards (306), tied for the lead in receiving touchdowns (2), and led in kick return touchdowns (1).  He was often a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses, due to his speed, quickness, and endurance late in games.  

Metoyer’s unwavering work ethic and love for the game can be heavily attributed to El Mo’s football program.  “El Mo’s football program has taught me that there is more to it than just the sport. It’s the bonds you’ll have and the way you’ll carry yourself after football is over,” he stated.  Now, Metoyer’s passion for the game has carried him beyond just El Mo.

This offseason, “I decided to join a 7ov7 team to help develop my skill for season,” he said.  Metoyer, along with another El Mo student and football player Chris Harm joined Real Speed, a 7v7 football program meant to develop game-like skills even in the offseason.  Metoyer’s team found success in recent tournaments, and were invited to the Pylon 7v7 tournament in Nevada.

Metoyer and his team succeeded at the beginning of the tournament, and came close to making it all the way to the finals.  When asked about how he thought the tournament went, he said, “My tournament in Nevada was good. Our team placed fifth out of somewhere around 160 teams.”  Even though his team didn’t win it all, Metoyer did not go home empty handed. “I went up against some big time players so I learned what routes work and the footwork I have to use. Also you just have to make big time plays when it matters,” he said when asked about what he gained from the experience.

Metoyer’s hard work and commitment to his craft in the offseason is what makes him one of the best athletes on campus.  His combination of running track and playing football makes him one of the fastest players in the county, and has earned him the nickname, ‘cheetah.’  With one more year left, expect Metoyer to tear it up on the football field next season.