Back to the Campus

This year’s spice and a heads up for October

Welcome back, Vanguards, and greetings to all the new students on campus. This time of year bustles with back-to-school activities such as Homecoming, freshman elections, and club rush. But this school year will be a little different, as Fred Kelly and the new science building are under construction, we’re joined by two new assistant principals, and there’s an enforced dress code as well.

The construction is on time, with the science building set to be completed by July 2020 and Fred Kelly sometime the same year. The stadium is expected to be open by the time this year’s seniors graduate. Little is known on the status of the pool, however, current plans call for a 30-meter design. 

One of our new assistant principals, Matthew Strickland, comes to El Modena from Villa Park High School. Melanie Marina was originally a Biology teacher at Orange High School.

Though it may not be well-known, El Modena does have a dress code, but, unlike in recent years, it is now being enforced. Students are advised to keep undergarments hidden and avoid tight or revealing clothing; regulations can be found on the school website.

In upcoming events, the Senior College Applications Workshop will be held on Oct. 4, with Anti-Bullying Week happening the following week. Oct. 16 will be a minimum day, marking the end of the first quarter; two days after that is Coffee Night. Red Ribbon Week starts Oct. 21. Various college visits, both locally and out-of-state, are scheduled throughout the month, so seniors who are still looking can attend and get help on their future plans.