The Galápagos

The last of Mr. Benner’s annual summer trips

From Italy to China to Peru to Ireland, Mr. Benner has spent many of his teaching years at El Mo taking students around the world on annual summer trips. Unfortunately, this year will be the last year that he will be a chaperone for these trips. To end with a bang, Mr. Benner and a group of students will be traveling to the Galápagos Islands in Ecuador. The group of teachers, including Mr. Benner and Ms. Kung, and students will spend 11 days exploring the rare wildlife and beautiful sights the Galápagos Islands have to offer.

The group of travelers is flying from LAX to Miami, then from Miami to Quito on June 17, 2019. The group will then depart from Ecuador on June 27, 2019. They will be spending four days in Quito, two days on Santa Cruz Island, two days on Isabela Island, and one day on San Cristobal Island. This trip will include going to the equator line, snorkeling at La Loberia beach, visiting wild tortoises and flamingos, seeing Independence Plaza and Government Palace, hiking Tijeretas Hill, and taking a day trip to the Mindo Cloud Forest.

Junior Kylee Gardner stated “I love traveling and I wanted to go explore the Galápagos with one of my favorite teachers on campus and some of my closest friends.” Junior Lucas Donnelly, the only male student going on the trip, said that “I’m looking forward to seeing the amazing wildlife, and animals that I will not be able to see anywhere else.”