Filed under Sports

Wrestling Pins Down the Wins

Saturday, November 24th was an eventful day for El Modena’s Girls Wrestling team as they outmatched several teams in a five-way dual and landed a three-way tie for third place at Downey High School. Varsity co-captain Abby Jolley was a standout in the first few matches, winning five out of five of the rounds she engaged in.

San Fernando Valley High school, however, turned out to be a challenge for her and the team. “San Fernando Valley took tenth in the state last year,” says Jolley, “so it was a really tough fight but we got them down.”

Both the boys and girls have been preparing vigorously for the rest of their upcoming matches this season, and their hard work has been paying off, especially for the girls’ team. For their first home dual of the season, El Modena faced Beckman High School. Girls’ Varsity won 36-21, boys’ JV won 33-16, but boys’ varsity fell short 15-48.

When asked how she felt the teams would be doing this season, Varsity team captain Nancy Silva responded, “I feel that we will do great this season… we’re all working very hard.”