Filed under El Mo News, Focus

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Why we make a whole month about boobs

October is known as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a month where everyone wears pink and supports the organizations that provide help for women who are affected by this cancer. Famous companies like Starbucks create fancy pink drinks and Panera sells ‘Pink Ribbon Bagels’. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death for women, one out of eight will be diagnosed with it within their lifetime. From a young age, girls are taught to take care of themselves, to find the symptoms. If there is any history of this in their family, they must have regular checkups.

There are many different types of breast cancer. Some including are DCIS, which affects the lining of the breast milk duct and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, which is similar to DCIS  also effects the surrounding tissue. The National Breast Cancer Foundation has a whole website on different treatment plans, the stages of breast cancer, and many other really helpful and interesting resources.

Walks are held all over the country during October. There are walks around every corner, especially here in Orange County. They’re a great opportunity to take cute pictures and help a great cause. Make sure to support the women (or men) in your life who have dealt or are dealing with breast cancer. Also, support when you can: donate, walk, or just where pink and talk about boobs!