Filed under Music, Showcase

The Rise of K-Pop

Watch as K-Pop makes its way to global fame.

BTS’ concept photos for their Love Yourself: Tear album.

Since Gangnam Style’s craze in 2012, the genre K-Pop has slowly but surely been making its way onto the Western charts. Even before that, Korean groups began to gain attention from around the world, such as Wonder Girls who made their way way into the Billboard 200 with their song “Nobody” in 2009. Additionally, Girls Generation, was featured on the Late Night Show in 2012 and won Video of the Year in 2013. K-Pop has always been popular, but what has caused it to gain such a large audience in the past few years?

One reason for K-pop’s success was the debut of the group BTS and the huge audience that came with them. On August 24, 2018, BTS broke Taylor Swift’s record for most viewed music video, gaining over 50 million views in less than 24 hours. Other achievements include BTS winning Billboards Social Artist of the Year in 2017 and 2018. This year the group sold out their world tour with locations such as the Staples Center in Los Angeles with a capacity of over 20,000 and Citi Field in New York with a capacity of over 40,000. However BTS isn’t the only popular K-Pop group.

Every year around the world there are a K-Pop conventions held in the United States, Mexico, and numerous other countries called KCON. Here, many groups are able to perform around and meet fans. When KCON first began, groups like 4Minute, Super Junior, and f(x) preformed to a crowds ranging from 20,000 to 40,000. As K-Pop gets more popular, crowds of 90,000 people gather to watch Seventeen, Stray Kids, Twice, Pentagon, and Red Velvet

Seeing as K-Pop groups have already collaborated with famous Western artists like Nicki Minaj and Steve Aoki, one can only wonder where this genre is going in the next few years.  They continue to climb the charts, break records, and win awards. K-Pop is on the rise and only time will tell where it will end up.