Lauren Page

Raised in Riverside California, volleyball player and University of Oregon Junior shares her story

2017-18 Oregon Duck Roster

King High School alumni from Riverside, California, and current junior in college Lauren Page, started playing volleyball in eighth grade at age fourteen. Page explains she started playing the sport because, ¨It was the only sport I was really good at and I enjoyed it more than any other sport I had ever played.” During her club years Page played with multiple club teams including 951 Elite Volleyball located in Wildomar for three years and Coast Volleyball Club located in San Diego for one year. At King High School, where Page played all four years, her team finished as Division II state runner-up in 2012 as a sophomore and named First Team All-League in the Big VIII in 2013.

When Page graduated from high school in 2015 and decided to continue her volleyball career she chose the University of Oregon, to not only further her volleyball path but explore a major of Psychology. Responding to the question of why Page chose the University of Oregon, she answers, ¨My goal in high school was to go to a Pac-12 school for volleyball. When I visited Oregon, I fell in love with the school and the state of Oregon.” She continues to explain that a main reason she loves Oregon is the extreme differences between it, and her previous home, southern California. One of her favorite parts of the university are the opportunities they provide student athletes with, and the ways they help them succeed.

Page is a diverse player and has played multiple positions as well as beach volleyball and indoor volleyball. Although her main position is middle blocker, which she has played for most of her career, she explains that ¨due to injuries on my club and college teams” she has also played outside hitter. Page enjoys both beach and indoor, however prefers indoor.

In her earlier years, and before her volleyball success came to be, Page admits she had previously played soccer, tennis, and basketball, however ultimately falling in love with volleyball. Growing up and even now, she explains her biggest role model still today, through everything in her life has been her mom.

With many accomplishments under Page’s belt, including a 2016 All-Pac-12 honorable mention and a Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week (10/24/16), she explains her biggest accomplishment overall so far ¨Has been being able to play volleyball at a Pac-12 and Division one school.¨ Page also reveals she has benefited from ¨meeting so many people and seeing so many things¨ and that she is grateful to be ¨getting her college paid for, by working as hard I have to be where I am today.¨ Standing at six feet tall, Page has appeared in seventy three matches for the Oregon Ducks and was also ranked number fifty four in the Prepvolleyball.com senior ace list in 2014.

Although her career has been successful, Page admits she has had a few challenges and setbacks over time. ¨My biggest challenge with volleyball so far would have to be being a college athlete. Being a college athlete comes with a lot of responsibilities and being able to manage everything gets hard at times.¨ Page has been on the luckier side so far regarding injury, explaining her only major injury resulted in a stress reaction in her foot, which put her out for a month.

When asked what she enjoyed to do in her free time, Page explained, ¨depending on the weather, during my free time I like to be outside with my friends whether that means going on a hike or a walk or just sitting outside having lunch. When it is raining, I like to watch ¨How to get Away with Murder¨ and ¨Grownish¨.  

After college the talented player discusses she hopes to play professionally overseas, and possibly come back to continue her education and to get her masters and pursue a career as a sports psychologist. As of now Page explains her plans do not include trying out for the national team, however depending on her senior year and upcoming season, these plans may change. For her last season at Oregon, her goal is to have fun and ¨enjoy every moment I can with my team and also win a National Championship.¨

Her freshman year playing for the Ducks, Page appeared in twenty matches and made twelve starts and recorded a season high of ten kills against Nebraska. Sophomore year, Page was named the Pac-12 Defensive player of the week and recorded a season high of twelve blocks as well as twelve kills against Colorado. And the most recent year, Page appeared in twenty three matches and started in thirteen matches. Some of her season highlights include five digs against Colorado, eleven kills against Loyola Marymount, and thirteen points against Washington.

Page explains the immense love and passion she has for the sport and that when asked to describe her favorite volleyball related memory she responded, ¨It would be hard to choose one favorite memory from all my years of volleyball because I have so many with so many different people.¨ For younger and newer volleyball players, Page offers her best advice and what she believes the keys to a fun and successful journey are. ¨I would tell young volleyball players to have fun and enjoy playing volleyball while they are young and to listen to their coaches! Learn as much as you can while you are young!¨