Filed under Feature, Showcase

PTSA Powerhouse: Rebecca Hultquist

PTSA president Rebecca Hultquist shares some details on what being on PTSA is like

Rebecca Hultquist receiving an award for her hard work as PTSA president.

Reecca Hultquist

Reecca Hultquist

Rebecca Hultquist, El Modena High School PTSA president, has many aspirations and philosophies as the leader of the board. From fundraising to helping around the school, the PTSA is a huge part of any high schooler’s life, even if they don’t know it. When asked to describe the job of PTSA president, Hultquist replied  “In ten words or less, no. It’s a cool volunteering job. It’s definitely something I never thought I’d do when I first had kids. It wasn’t a traditional ‘What do you want to volunteer as?’ I never thought I would be PTSA president. This is my second time being the PTSA president. My friends were nominating people last year and they told me they really needed someone and I said ‘well I can probably do it again, but we’ll find someone to replace me.’ But yeah, I did it and I like it. It’s a well rounded volunteer job. You can pick and choose things you want to do and you can help all kids at the school, not just one specific thing like a booster or a classroom type help. I like that it encompass all the kids in the whole school.”

When asked what are her yearly goals, Ms. Hultquist said ‘I want to make a difference this year and do things differently than before. The person we voted on to do fundraising, our vice president, we really inspired her to fundraise a lot with spirit wear sales and little fundraisers. I wanted to raise more money than we had raised before and be able to distribute it out to the school equally in all different areas. More and bigger fundraising, more aid and assistance to the kids in the school, and more community hourage. That’s kind of what we set ourselves to before school started in August.”

Then, in regards to what she likes about the job she said “The free coffee? Just kidding. I like that it gives you a sense of ownership for the school. You feel like you have access to what is important around [El Modena] and if you don’t do that, you feel like you don’t know what’s going on.”

The most challenging thing about her job is “Getting people to meetings. I get that people have work and that everyone has crazy schedules but no matter what, the PTSA will always have morning meetings. That’s just how we have to do it because we compete with athletic schedules, other departments at school with events in the evenings, booster meetings, and high school kids have busy lives. The PTSA meeting in high school will always be a morning meeting. It’s another goal of mine to accommodate other parent’s schedules, and twice a year we have night meetings. Getting people to those meetings is a little challenging because you have to have a forum to vote on things and you really want input from everybody. I try my best to email people and kind of let them know what’s going on so that if they do want to vote, or they have questions, I always make myself available by cell phone or email so that parents know what is going on.”

The experiences she’s had previously to prepare her for being the PTSA president are “[Being] a housewife my whole life,  I had to pick and choose what I could do to contribute to society besides raising my family. I chose to volunteer since my oldest was born. I’ve had to pick and choose what I want to volunteer with to make the most impact. When your kid is in kindergarten, the first thing you do is either be a mom, sign up to help, or join the PTA. Those are the easy things. Housewives are great because we’re going to get it done. We fight for the kids from the very beginning to get everything they need. Dads, moms, grandmas, grandpas, everyone is there volunteering to try and get the most out of subsidized art programs, music programs, walkthrough history things… Those are all things volunteers do to help the schools when they don’t have funding. I knew early on that [fundraising] was important and that I was going to do that. As we got to highschool with each of our kids, that’s when I got into boosters and realized how important those are because the funding for athletics isn’t there. That’s what boosters do, they cover some of that. The PTA isn’t really that different, they’re just governed by a bigger set of rules and a body of support that’s national. That’s why it’s always been important.

Finally, when asked if she went to El Modena as a kid, Hultquist replied “I did not. I went to a little itty bitty Christian school in Huntington Beach. The whole school was 112 kids. I’m local though, I grew up in Costa Mesa, lived here my whole life. My kids went to El Modena though, all three. My son in law and future son in law are both El Modena graduates.”