Recapping the Golf Season

A look back at the 2018 Vanguard golf season

The El Modena Golf team at their last match against Brea at Westridge golf course

El Modena Boys golf finished the year with a record of 1-11 and a league record of 1-5. Though that in itself wasn’t a huge positive, there was a lot of great things to take away from the 2018 season.

For starters, the lone win was on April 10 over Esperanza High School at home course  Riverview. The win was the first league victory for the Vanguards in almost three years. The win served as a jumping point for the squad and brought hope and motivation to close out the season.

The second great thing to come out of the season was the junior varsity team. Comprised of six freshmen, many of whom took up golf only months ago, the squad was able to come up with four wins on the season including a major upset playing Brea at Woodbridge golf course.

The team also had breakout seasons by sophomores Blake Sundes and Brady Fox as well as freshman Colin Doonan who started almost every varsity game.

El Mo golf finished the season at league individual finals with one last thing to celebrate. For only the third time in four years, and for the first time in three years, El Modena had representation in day two of the North Hills finals.

Senior captain Bobby Almand made the cut after day one, tied for 12th place with a score of 86 on May 1 at the North Course of Los Serranos Golf Club.