Dance Spring Showcase: Amalgamation

The dance department’s annual spring showcase will occur on May 24 and 25 in the cafeteria at 7 p.m.

Members of the Vanguard Dance Company and Vizion Crew at the Spring Sports Assembly: (bottom left) Sohel Bagai, Dustin Nguyen, Ryan Takata, Stephen Le, Justin Luong, Mia Vasquez, Kate Ayala, Isabella Perez, Avery Miles, Vanessa Carroll, Elizabeth Raburn, Alondra Sanchez, Julia Atkinson, Lilia Bour, Donna Gaytan, Ashley Ramynke, Hayley Hoey, and Catheryne Bernal.

Amalgamation is commonly defined as the action, process, or result of combining or uniting; a fitting theme for the dance department’s annual spring showcase on May 24 and 25, to represent the integration of first-year teacher Ms. Keeley into the dance department.

Born and raised in Orange County, Ms. Keeley grew up dancing and turned her passion for dance into a career through teaching at Anaheim Ballet. Following receiving her Bachelor of Arts in Dance from Chapman University, Masters in Education from National University and a stint as a substitute dance teacher for the Huntington Beach Unified School District, she landed the position as El Modena’s dance teacher beginning in the 2017-2018 school year.

As the show’s director, Ms. Keeley aims to bring an array of dance styles to the cafeteria stage in order to broadcast to audiences both teams’ diversity and the hard work they have put in throughout the school.

This includes, an array of both student choreographed small group dances and assembly dances choreographed by captains, juniors Kate Ayala, Vanessa Carroll, Mia Vasquez, and sophomore Justin Luong, in addition to guest choreographers Isidro Rafael, Erik Sandoval, Makenna Snow, and Jacquelyn Sutkowi.

In regards to the Professional Dance I, II, III classes, Ms. Keeley has choreographed a large group dance for each period, which contain elements of lyrical, contemporary and jazz technique.

The show composed of approximately thirty dances ranges from hip-hop to contemporary to Irish. Sophomore Avery Miles took her groovy yet hype hip-hop style to a large group dance she choreographed for approximately fourteen fellow dancers to a mix of some of Chris Brown’s top tracks. Junior Julia Atkinson also choreographed a large group dance in the style of contemporary to the Beatles “Revolution #9” featuring eight fellow dancers in this eerie, thought-provoking dance. Sophomore Lilia Bour took her knowledge of traditional Irish dance to four fellow dancers to create a traditional Irish dance to a funky hybrid of modern pop and Irish folk music.  

Come support the dance department at the annual spring showcase, Amalgamation, on May 24 and 25 in the cafeteria at 7 p.m. All proceeds from the show go towards improvement of the dance department.