Spring into the Arts Festival

The Spring into the Arts Festival presented by the visual and performing arts department will occur on May 30 in the Nature Center

Junior Vanessa Carroll does an arabesque  in the Nature Center  (Photo via Justin Luong).

Junior Vanessa Carroll does an arabesque in the Nature Center (Photo via Justin Luong).

The 2018 Spring into the Arts Festival occurring on May 30 in the Nature Center during periods one through four and after school beginning at 4 p.m., is a collaboration between the different branches of the performing and visual arts department.

Integrating the themes of rebirth and the jubilation of spring, art teacher Ms. Wang is having her students create three different lanterns, in which, “One is focused on their past, one is [focused] on their present, and the last one is where they see themselves in the future.”

Fellow visual arts instructor Mr. Beaman is asking his ceramic students to create, “Succulent flower pots [that] will be for sale during the festival. There will also be other ceramic artwork for sale, such as vases and bowls.”

In regards to the performing arts, the Drama 1 students will perform a one-act play “Check Please,” which drama teacher Mrs. Gillen says is composed of, “Short vignettes portraying a series of really bad blind dates.”

The dance companies will perform a swing ballroom dance to “You Make Me Feel So Young” by Frank Sinatra and the dance classes will perform a pedestrian style dance to “Legal Man” by Belle & Sebastian, both choreographed by Ms. Keeley.

Following their success at the Heritage Festival, Ms. Solis’ three choir groups will perform various renaissance, spiritual, modern, and folk songs, in addition to songs from their recent competition.

As a new addition to the festival, Mr. Edwards of the foreign language department will have students from his various French classes recite poetry in French.

To attend this event, select teachers have signed up to bringing their classes during periods one through four, or visit the after school performance beginning at 4 p.m. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.