Filed under El Mo News, Media&Arts

El Mo Choir at Anime LA

Five members of Chamber Singers performed with SAC Choir at an anime convention

On Saturday, January 27, five members of El Modena Choir’s Chamber Singers performed alongside Santa Ana Choir at Anime L.A. in the Ontario Convention Center. The group had an hour and a half time slot in the entertainment lounge, and were accompanied by a full band, including John Marr, the man behind the musical arrangements.

This event came about when Iese Wilson, a vocal coach working under Mrs. Solis here at El Modena and an active member of SAC Choir, approached El Modena choir asking for volunteers to fill the shortage of men in SAC Choir’s Anime L.A. set. Five Vanguards volunteered, seniors Arturo Aguilera, San Choi, Nathan Simons, and Ryan Tepos, and junior Gabriel Samson.

The group performed songs from a variety of well-known animes, such as “My Neighbor Totoro,” “Castle in the Sky,” “Cowboy Bebop,” “Neon Genesis Evangelion,” “Sailor Moon,” “Pokemon,” among others. Aguilera felt that, “The performance went pretty well. I think that most of us poured a lot of energy into it since we enjoyed the songs we were singing.” To add to the already upbeat atmosphere, the audience joined in on several of their songs, most notably those from “My Neighbor Totoro” and “Pokemon.”

Samson will fondly remember this event, stating, “It was a bit hard since most of the songs were in Japanese, but other than that, I learned many new things from the choir director [Dr. Elliot Jones] at SAC.”