May All Their Swishes Come True

A look inside girls basketball season

Girls basketball is one of the many winter sports on this campus. The varsity team went with a league record of 2-3 and had an overall record of 9-18. Throughout the season, the team picked up their game and became more of a threat on the court.

The varsity team this season had many new additions, as well as returners. The returners on the team were seniors Akemi Takagi, Hannah Tjoa, Mirary Villasaldo, and the returning juniors were Sarah Ando, Micely Cabrera, Allyson Conner, and Mikayla Reyes. The new juniors on the team this season were Naomi Castillo, Alisha Flournoy, Betsy Garcia, and Natalia Sarinana.

This season there were two sophomores that stepped up to help the team, Brianna Bennett and Jasmine Garcia. Garcia explained that playing varsity majorly differs from playing on frosh/soph, “There is more to focus on at the varsity level. There are different teammates you have to learn how to play with, and it is at a faster pace, as well as focusing more on the technical aspect of basketball.”

This new varsity team also came with a new varsity coach, Coach James Daniels. Coach Daniels is heavily involved with coaching at El Modena. He coached frosh/soph and jv girls basketball for the 2016-2017 season, as well as coaching track and field, and frosh/soph football. Coach Daniels had to step up to the title of varsity Head Coach after Coach Dave Schute left the program.

Reyes said “This year’s team is much different from last year’s team because we played with a lot of new girls coming up from the jv and frosh/soph level who were still getting the feel for playing at a varsity level. We also had to overcome some coaching adjustments.”

Tjoa and Takagi added on by saying that, “The team this year had character, did not give up, and got closer throughout the season.” Coach Daniels had input on how the season went by saying, “The chemistry got better, and varsity going down to Villa Park and Yorba Linda earlier in the season came back and beat both of them at our house.”
One of the highlights of the season for Tjoa and Takagi were beating Villa Park. Another great game they said was the Foothill game because, “We stayed in the game and competed very well against them.” Tjoa broke the school record for most points made in a game, a new record of 39 points, which was another highlight of the season.

Girls basketball team putting up boards during the Villa Park game.

When asked what will be missed most about the seniors, Conner said “They are all good friends of mine so I will miss having them around.” While Flournoy said, “I will miss their great personalities and them showing me new things to try out on the court.”

Expect a great next season from the girls basketball team. Coach Daniels said, “There is room to grow. I expect us to be a more polished team, to be a closer team, and to go out and be a more competitive team.”