Filed under El Mo News, Music

Bouncing Back to the Top

The Vanguard Percussion Ensemble is starting their 2018 season

After their successful 2017 season, in which they won ADLA Novice finals, the Vanguard Percussion Ensemble is back for their 2018 season, and they have even moved up a division.

This year, their indoor percussion show is called “Bounce.” It will include two movements and will be about two minutes in length. The drumline even has yoga balls and trampoline as apart of their props.

The indoor percussion group held their tryouts in early December. There were two spots. One of the options was to play an instrument in the front ensemble, which included mallet instruments, the drum set, an auxiliary cart, or synthesizers. The second option was to tryout for the drumline.

They currently have 30 members and the group has three captains. Hannah Ordoñez and Kyle Takata are the drumline co-captains, and Sofia Sheldon is the front ensemble or, “pit” captain. While Ordoñez and Takata have only been captains since the beginning of the fall marching season, Sheldon has been pit captain since last year’s fall marching season.

While she was reflecting on the previous year’s season, Sheldon stated, “I have to give credit to the first win that we had because it was at that point that everyone realized what we could accomplish and could see that our hard work does pay off.”

When asked on her thoughts for this season, Ordoñez said, “I know we’re always gonna have a fun time performing and that’s all that really matters.” Takata thinks, “…that we have a good chance of sizing up what we have to do in order to be successful.”

Their first competition will be on March 10th at Marina High School.

If you have any questions on competition dates, competition locations, or for the VPE group, you can ask Mr. G in room 701, or visit the official ADLA website here.