• February 6EMTV Episode 3 rocks El Modena, watch below

• February 66.4 earthquake kills 2 in Taiwan, 200 missing

• February 5Dow Jones drops 1,000 points

In Honor of Trey Alexander Thyden

Trey Thyden- a brother, a son, a friend

Trey Thyden- a brother, a son, a friend

The tragic suicide of a young man close to those of the El Modena community

Trey Alexander Thyden was born on August 6th, 2000, and lost his life to suicide on January 7th, 2018. He was a bright and intellectual young man with an amazing laugh, and his presence will be missed by many of his friends and family.

Growing up in Orange, Trey went to McPherson from Kindergarten through 8th grade, then to El Modena for his freshman and sophomore years, and was currently enrolled in Foothill High School for his junior and senior years.

At McPherson, he was well remembered for his segment on the “McPherson News” called “Tech With Trey”, where he would review and talk about one of his many passions, technology. At El Modena, he got involved and became a part of the golf team.

Trey’s sister, Hailey Thyden, recalls what it was like to grow up with Trey. “He was my idol, I totally idolized him when I was a little kid. If he did Jiu-Jitsu, I did Jiu-Jitsu, when he did origami, I did origami, I mimicked everything he did.”

When asked to elaborate on his life goals and motivations Hailey states, “He would’ve wanted to go into the whole gaming thing, he wanted to work at Blizzard, which is this major video game designing company. I think he would’ve wanted to be known for that, and his intellect. He would’ve wanted to be remembered, and be successful.”   

As a little kid, Trey was very joyous, and known for his huge smile and infectious laugh. Although as time went on and he entered his high school years, Trey started to struggle with depression and social anxiety. “Bad stuff kept happening to him, and he just kept spiraling down,” Hailey explains.

Oftentimes life was tough for Trey. He had a lot to offer to the world, and he will be missed dearly. He lead a dynamic and successful life, and unfortunately passed away too soon.

Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the United States, and suicide takes the lives of 121 Americans per day. Trey’s life was another life cut short of its full potential. In his passing,  Trey left a wake of sadness and confusion, and questions that will never be answered. His life and numerous other lives didn’t have to end on this sad note.

Suicide is a difficult topic to discuss, and even more difficult for those who are having suicidal thoughts or feelings. Unless people talk about their feelings with others, these feeling may lead to hasty actions, and permanent decisions that affect not only the individual, but their loved ones, friends, and their community.

There are always options.  There is always someone that will listen to you. Even if you feel like you can’t talk to anyone you know personally, you can call a suicide prevention hotline. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline phone number is 1-800-273-8255, with someone available to talk to 24 hours a day.

The world is not a better place without you, Trey. You will be missed more than you will ever be able to know.