Filed under Music, Showcase

The 2018 Grammy Awards: Bruno Mars Wins Six Grammys

Bruno Mars wins six Grammys for his album “24K Magic” and single “That’s What I Like”

Bruno Mars like during the 24k Magic World Tour (Photo via Wikipedia Commons under the Creative Commons License).

The 2018 Grammy Awards took place on January 28, 2018, at Madison Square Garden in New York City with host James Corden.

Bruno Mars took home a staggering six Grammy Awards, including: Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best R&B Song, Best R&B Album, and Best R&B performance.

Though much controversy arose as fans believed rapper Kendrick Lamar, and runner up to Bruno Mars with five Grammy Awards, should have received Album of the Year for “DAMN.” and Record of the Year for “HUMBLE.”

Kendrick Lamar, U2, and Dave Chappelle opened the show with a political satire as a sign of activism for the Black Lives Matter Movement.

Politics also occurred before the show on the red carpet, as attendees wore white roses as a symbol of activism against sexual harassment, and specifically the organization Time’s Up.

Singer Lorde took a different form of activism, through sewing a quote from a essay by Hozier, “Rejoice! Our times are intolerable. Take coverage for the worst is a harbinger of the best. Only dire circumstance can precipitate the overthrow of oppressors. The old and corrupt must be laid to waste before the just can triumph. Contradiction will be heightened. The reckoning will be hastened by the staging of seed disturbances. The apocalypse will blossom,” in light of not being asked to perform as a solo artist, which critics assume contributes to the underrepresentation of women within the Grammy Award Show.

Fellow female singer and advocated for sexual, physical, and verbal abuse following abuse from producer Dr. Luke, Kesha, sang her hit single “Praying” alongside Camila Cabello, Cyndi Lauper, Julia Michaels, Bebe Rexha, and Andra Day.

Shifting from politics to remembrance, the late Tom Petty, Chris Cornell, and Dolores O’Riordan were honored for their contributions to music as prominent singer-songwriters within their genres.Grammy winning country artist, Chris Stapleton, alongside Emmylou Harris, covered Petty’s’ “Wildflowers,” as a tribute to the late singer-songwriter.

Though the 2018 Grammy Awards was centralized on politics, activism, and national tragedy, the unifying factor of honor musicians and their contribution to the arts.