Filed under Feature

El Mo “Rooters” Getting Rowdy

The Rowdy Rooters are easily one of the best things El Mo has to offer

The Rowdy Rooters are one of the best clubs at El Modena. El Mo is known for the loud and energetic student section at football and basketball games. Rowdy Rooters President, sophomore Payton Bullock, shares upcoming plans for the Rowdy Rooters.

Bullock was on JV Cheer last year and is now co-captain of JV this year. Bullock is very interested in the sports at El Mo, going to volleyball and water polo games as often as possible, and taking a big part in all football games.

Bullock plans themes for the football games, as well as helping plan pep rallies and supports ASB with upcoming events regarding school spirit.

Bullock said that she wanted to be the Rowdy Rooters President because “school spirit is my absolute favorite thing ever, it’s one of the many reasons I love El Mo.”

Other than Bullock, Seniors Kevin Leatherman and Alyssa Barraza also play a big role in helping the Rowdy Rooters. Leatherman is Senior Class President and Barraza is ASB President. The two lead cheers at football games and get the crowd riled up.

“I wanted to join my freshman year because I wanted to be involved in high school, and it was a perfect way to get involved, ” said Leatherman. Barraza adds “ I’ve always been involved with the student section since my freshman year. I think our student section reflects a lot on El Mo, and I love going full out and being the loudest in the stands.”

This year Bullock is adding some great ideas to the Rowdy Rooters. “This year we have ‘Grade Representatives,’ and they act as a liaison to their grade to spread news of games coming up and other activities.”

Bullock is also working hard on getting more people involved. “I’m going to try to get a lot more people involved in Rowdy Rooters. I’m going to try to get more freshmen involved, since we don’t have a lot. I’m also going to tell the seniors that aren’t apart of it that it is not too late to join.”