• February 6EMTV Episode 3 rocks El Modena, watch below

• February 66.4 earthquake kills 2 in Taiwan, 200 missing

• February 5Dow Jones drops 1,000 points

Mine, Yours, Ours- Let’s Share this Town

El Modena Theater Arts Department presents “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder

Ilaise Tamotuu

Staff Writer

The play “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder has become an American classic, appearing on Broadway in 1938 and winning the Pulitzer Prize that same year. This revered play took stage all throughout the world, including our little corner of the four hundred building.

Directed by Mrs. Gillen, the audience is exposed to the relationship of two neighbors, George Gibbs (Revelstoke Sanz) and Emily Webb (Ludwika Munoz), in their mythical town of Grover’s Corners, who transition from childhood friendship to courtship, marriage, and eternal slumber.

Act One entitled “The Daily Life” explains the towns social and economic stance as well as its physical structure while introducing us to George Gibbs and Emily Webb. There are two Stage Managers, Jenny Hamburg and Nicole Richmond, who are the hosts of the play or can be known as the omniscient narrators who intervene and have a god-like role, switching from character to narrator. They center around one of the play’s themes being stability.

Act Two, starting just as act one did, entitled “Love and Marriage”follow the neighbors blossoming love for one another which has brought them to their wedding day three years later. This Act showcases a central theme which is the need for human companionship and interaction. Throughout the play, we witness all the gossiping and basic interaction that goes on in this town.

The final act, as you may have guessed, is “Death and Farewell.” Here we see the death of Emily Webb during childbirth and her sitting amongst all of Grover’s Corners deceased where she, ironically, learns that living goes through life without fully enjoying and savoring every moment.

There’s much to take away from this play, but what really stands prominent, as Mrs. Gillen explains, is that “in spite of the pressures of 21st century life” we should “celebrate the small moments and blessings that come our way” and although we are all different, “there are still more things that we share in common than divide us from one another.”

In many ways, “Our Town” reflects our little speck on the globe and El Modena’s Theater Arts Department fantastically showcased this play.

Acknowledgments: Directed by Mrs. Deborah Gillen. Cast: Jenny Hamburg, Nicole Richmond, Jason Holzang, Rodrigo Corona, John Geyer, John Mangrich, Sara Davidson, Kailey Bereczky, Revelstoke Sanz, Olive Sanz, Samuel Kistan, Ludwika Munoz, Katie Patton, Bryan Boeltz, Julianna Nava, Kassidy Villalvazo, Chloe Nolan, Jessica Thi, Daniella Martinez, Breanna Scott, Zakary Richmond, Olivia Cordes, Nathan Simon, John Geyer, Toni Hernandez, Luis Atriano Theater Technicians: John Geyer, Victoria Corp Others: Ely Bustos, Matthew Cortez, Yair Flores, Kenzy Franco, John George, Tyanna Hipps, Jessica Huerta, Tyra Huynh, Rufina Lozado, Sal Munoz, Nataly Pliego, Devyn Rhodes, Leslie Rojas, Dulce Sanchez, Melanie Stinson, Kimberly Sustaeta, Kaitlyn Tierney. Produced by special arrangement with Samuel French.