• February 6EMTV Episode 3 rocks El Modena, watch below

• February 66.4 earthquake kills 2 in Taiwan, 200 missing

• February 5Dow Jones drops 1,000 points

21st Century Science Building

El Modena anticipates the new science building

Ilaise Tamotuu

Staff Writer

After the passing of Measure S, many who currently are in attendance at El Modena High are pondering the question of when we will see the changes made to our campus and what effect will it have, if any, on students.

Measure S was approved by voters in 2016, giving consent to the district to raise $288 million by selling bonds and dividing the funds equally among the districts four schools: El Modena, Canyon, Orange, and Villa Park. El Modena’s campus is the third oldest in the district, standing at the ripe age of 47 years old.

With Measure S, the “Master Plan” is to establish “21st learning spaces for the sciences,” as Superintendent Michael Christensen has so put it. The said science building would be built over what many students call the “big litter box” or the sand volleyball court across from the library.

The science building would be two stories high and include “two general science labs and four chemistry labs on the ground floor, with two more science labs and a general classroom on the second floor.”

Now the question we all ask is how will it affect us? The truth being, the only classes to have use of the building, if everything goes as planned, is the class of 2020 and everyone after that. The construction begins in October of 2018 and will finish in 2020.

All in all the major effects for the better will be seen when the majority of El Modena’s current students leave, but it is a wish that the future classes of El Modena be brighter and better.