El Modena Murals

Revealing Dr. Saxton’s hidden love for murals

January 23, 2018

In his fifth year serving as El Modena’s principal, Dr. Saxton has made our campus,“More welcoming and less like an industrial nightmare” by adding countless murals.

Almost any wall on campus now has a mural; one particular appealing and meaningful mural is of American novelist, and women empowerer, Toni Morrison. The calming blue depiction of Morrison is a bright spot featured on the 400 building, a quote above her reads, “You are your best thing.” This mural welcomes possibilities especially to what Morrison is herself, a minority woman.

Scott Howe of “The Hyste Creative Services,” based in Los Angeles, is the man behind the scenes in creating the murals we now see daily. He rolls up in his black jeep, outlines and labels a mural, and paints it seemingly overnight.

Dr. Saxton also recently accorded El Mo two new murals, displayed on the gym. Both murals result from his communication with the Army and Marines, who often recruit students during lunch.

Another mural collaboration Dr. Saxton organized is for El Modena to display a Navy themed mural, designed by any student of Ms. Wang, paid for by the Navy.

The hopeful artists have already submitted their works, the navy merely asked submissions to include an aircraft carrier. Dr. Saxton is the judge and is rewarding $100, from his wallet, to the students artwork he deems best. Senior artist, Gabe DeGuzman, submitted his work and says he would,“Put the reward money towards college education to continue my artwork, and hopefully make a career out of my passion.”

Saxton next plans to paint a previously student designed mural of the history of French speaking countries, next to Mr. Edwards French classroom.

The question remains, will he paint a mural at the bottom of our pool?

Frontline • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in