Filed under El Mo News, Music, Showcase

Orange Tree Lighting

The El Modena Vocal Music Department perfomed at the 23rd annual Orange Tree Lighting on Dec. 3rd

The performers held fake candles at the event

The El Modena Chambers Choir and seniors in the El Mo Vocal Music Department performed with Orange High School’s Choir on December 3rd. The Tree Lighting is an annual ceremony in which these groups perform for hundreds of local Orange citizens. This year was the 23rd annual Tree Ligthung Ceremony, hosted by the Orange Community Master Chorale.

The groups that participated in this large event were the Children’s choir of St. John’s School, El Modena Chambers, along with students from harmonia and men’s chorus, the Orange High School Vocal Music Department, the choir from the First United Methodists Church of Orange, St. John’s Choir, Handbell Choir from the First United Methodist Church of Orange, and professional paid musicians that played in the full orchestra.They were conducted by Mike Short, Choir Director from Orange High School.

The groups came together three times before the actual performance to practice all of the songs in program order. The first time was at the First Methodist Church located on 161 S Orange St, Orange. This was only including the vocal music groups. The second time was at the Orange Fire Department located just next to the church, right next to the church this time the. The songs were accompanied by a full orchestra with paid musicians. The entire ensemble practiced they’re the third and final time the groups came together was at the sound check right before the actual Tree lighting performance.

The performers then had two hours to explore the streets of the Orange Circle until the performance started. At about 7 o’clock, the choir members lined up and sang carols as they entered the stands. There were seven carols, which included songs such as, “O Come All Ye Faithful”, “The First Noel”, “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”, “O lIttle Town of Bethlehem”, “It Came Upon A Midnight Clear”, and “O Christmas Tree.”

The night performance was started by a speech from Orange’s mayor, Teresa Smith, and the lighting of the trees by an honorable man from Orange. As the tree lit up the dark night, the choir and orchestra erupted into song, performing “O Christmas Tree.” Then, the program began. It was narrated by Bill Campbell and had 12 choral pieces.

The pieces were “Sing Praise to Him Our Lord”, “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”, “Candlelight Carol”, “He is Born”, “Angels We Have Heard on High”, “What Child is This”, “We Three Kings”, “Sing Noel”, “Do You Hear What I Hear”, “Joy to the World”, “Peace, Peace”, and finally, “Hallelujah!”