• January 21Eagles and Patriots advance to 2018 Super Bowl

• January 19'New California' declares independence from the state

• January 19United States government shut down

• August 28Thousands Stranded in Houston With Waters Still Rising; Death Toll Rises to 10

Filed under Media&Arts

El Modena Goes on Juliet’s Journey

Actors Amy Lizardo and Martel Manning take El Modena students on a Shakespearean experience

The infamous star-crossed lovers, Romeo and Juliet, took show in El Modena’s very own cafeteria. Martel Manning and Amy Lizardo, traveling with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, bring Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet” to life, sharing the infamous love tragedy with all attending.

The show was detailed mostly around Juliet (Amy Lizardo), instead of Romeo (Martel Manning), hence given the title “Juliet’s Journey.” Even though there were only two actors on stage, they showcased their flexibility and talents by playing multiple characters, distinguishing a character change with different costumes.

Lizardo tells Frontline that she has been performing from the young age of five and Manning started professionally ten years ago, the lesson being, you are never too old or too young to get into something new.

Manning explains that the shows “began eighty years ago” and had started to “reach out to schools” twenty-five years ago because only the elderly attended the Shakespearean plays and they felt it necessary “to bring in audiences.”

Manning hopes that his “passion about it (acting) inspires others.” But there are still downsides and hardships that come with this profession. Lizardo admits that “choreography and knowing where I need to be when I need to be there is the difficult part.”

All in all, “Juliet’s Journey” has showcased two wonderful individuals who hope to inspire others, especially the younger generations,  to go for the dream and try new things.