• December 8State of Emergency declared in California as 6 fires rage on

• November 21Trump administration places sanctions on North Korea

• November 19UCLA football coach, Jim Mora, fired... on his birthday

• November 127.2 Earthquake on border of Iran/Iraq kills 62

Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

Senior Owen Marcyan (75) hugs senior Ryan Macmillan after El Modena football wins the CIF Championship game against Don Lugo.

On December 2, 2017, El Modena Football made history by leaving the final CIF-SS Division 7 game victoriously with the title, for the first time since 1984. During the past three seasons El Modena’s football team placed as North Hill League Champs, and for the past four seasons El Modena football made it to the CIF semifinals.
After four years of relative success, the anticipation of a CIF title grew stronger after each win this season, ultimately building the sense of community between the team, coaches, parents, students, faculty, and alumni.
With just minutes prior to the onset of the first quarter, the away side of Don Lugo Stadium packed full with members of the Vanguard community cramming into aisle ways and stairways, as observed by Fox Sports announcers Chris Hale and Paul Westphal, “The Vanguard faithful turned out in capacity. You can’t shoe horn another fan in on that side.”
Over the course of the game the student section, otherwise known as Rowdy Rooters garnered attention from much of the press covering the monumental game. Fox Sports announcers went on to note the renowned Rowdy Rooter roller coaster cheer by saying, “That’s pretty cool. I don’t know if I’ve seen that anywhere else this season. Well done by the Vanguard faithful.”
As El Modena football ensured their win and the remaining minutes the fourth quarter dwindled, much of the student section gathered near the fence surrounding the field in hopes of rushing onto the field to congratulate and celebrate the historic win with the team. After storming the field was made impractical, the Vanguard nation belted out the school’s alma mater as they made their way back to campus for the victory bell ceremony.
With the arrival of the team onto the famed El Modena bell stand, the sea of supporters erupted into a cheerful roar of “Lester! Lester! Lester!” Suddenly, Matt Lester, the son of the previously successful El Modena football coach said, “This is bittersweet, I appreciate being a part of this ride.”
Given that El Modena’s football team has been built on a variety familial and communal relationships, the pride and celebration of the CIF title will carry on throughout the school. Mrs. Mull, a staff member heavily involved with the Rowdy Rooters and the broader impression of Vanguard pride, said, “Football means so much to the notion of community at El Modena. With this CIF title our Vanguard Nation is so proud of our neighbourhood community of players, coaches, families, and faculty.” Similarly, the El Modena senior and football quarterback AJ Esperanza mentioned, “I know we have lots of guys who play multiple sports, so now that they’ve tasted a CIF Championship they’ll bring the hunger for another one to whatever sport they play. Overall, hopefully we showed the school that it’s possible for a team to reach its goals with enough hard work.”
Not only will the CIF Championship title benefit and connect the team, but it’ll consequently bring the band of athletes, students, teachers, coaches, administration, and alumni closer together to stand in strength in every endeavor (just like the alma mater states.)

1 Comment

One Response to “Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories”

1. Samantha Venegas on December 6th, 2017 11:57 am

How exciting !! Written very nicely.

[Reply]

*

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

Orange Tree Lighting

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

Music

The Music That Defined 2017

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

A Night 33 years in the making

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

El Modena Cheer and Pom Showcase: Year Four

• EMTV: Take On Media

EMTV Episode 1

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

Brayden Metoyer advancing onto Round 2 of CIF

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

Columns

Finishing Strong

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

Feature

Multilingual Mrs. Davis

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

Pom in Review

• Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories

1984: Finding Verse in Prose

Vanguard Victory Vanguard Memories