El Modena Cheer and Pom Showcase: Year Four

A preview of El Modena's 2018 cheer and pom showcase

Back to Article
Back to Article

At the 2017 showcase, a total of eight groups performed, as pictured.

photo via @ElModenaCheerandPom (Instagram).

The fourth annual El Modena cheer showcase will be held in the gym on Saturday, January 27, 2018. However, this year, there will not be four routines from the program, but five. Pom — in addition to the varsity cheer, JV cheer, competition cheer, and the whole program — will have their own unique routine.

El Modena cheer and pom invites all of the surrounding high school and Pop Warner cheer teams to perform as well. So far, Edison High School, Northview High School, Gabrielino High School, and the Tustin Cobras have confirmed, with more expected to join as the event grows closer.

The showcase is the largest fundraiser for the program, with almost six hundred attendees last year. Much like last year, there will also be raffles and cheer bow vendor Bowcandi, along with, “… Shoutouts and flowers you can buy for your favorite cheerleader or Golden Girl,” as described by coach Melissa Bickler.    

Ever since cheer coaches Hayley Curtis and Melissa Bickler began coaching the program in summer 2014, the El Modena cheer and pom team has grown in both skill and size. Add JV cheer coach and 2015 alumni Leslie Torres and advisor Mrs. Mull, and this program has crafted the ideal “dream team.”

Curtis points out that, “This year is special for our program because it is the fourth one. The seniors in the program were the girls on the freshman team when we started this yearly tradition…”

It will be interesting to see how the team has evolved, particularly with so many new tumblers and talented stunt groups alongside the first class to be coached by Bickler and Curtis all four years. Sophomore varsity and competition cheerleader Avery Simone hopes the team, “… Can all have a chance to show what we’re good at so we can make each routine fun for the audience to watch and fun for us to perform.”

Bickler hopes for, “… All teams to perform with confidence and for the El Mo student body to hopefully see how hard these kids work.” Don’t forget to save the date: January 27, 2018 in the gym.