• January 21Eagles and Patriots advance to 2018 Super Bowl

• January 19'New California' declares independence from the state

• January 19United States government shut down

• August 28Thousands Stranded in Houston With Waters Still Rising; Death Toll Rises to 10

Dear Daddy: It Will Happen to #METOO

“To live life as a woman is to live life on the defense.” -Brie Larson

In light of the recent sexual assault scandal regarding Harvey Weinstein, American actress/activist Alyssa Milano has started #MeToo, a hashtag movement to allow women on Twitter to share their experience on sexual violence and harassment.

The tweet has received attention from news stations like CNN and MSNBC, as well as coverage on both YouTube and Instagram. Online artists and influencers have started rolling out their own opinions and stances on the movement, drawing the focus on giving support to women who have begun opening up about their stories.

Like all online stories and protests, the majority of the backlash has come from trolls who come from a place of privilege, those who have been fortunate enough to have avoided sexual assault or harassment in their lives.

The thread of endless, real-life horror stories has helped women lift each other up from the dark corners in their lives. With even more awareness on assault on women specifically, the video “Dear Daddy” has resurfaced from 2015, a video-story from an unborn female future-fetus narrating to her father of the dangers of being a woman today.

As the future-fetus grows into a girl, young boys start to believe it is to be acceptable to use sexist slurs against their girl counterparts; with that being said, by the time a girl is merely 14 years old, barely ready to face high school, she has already been called a whore, a slut, a cunt, a bitch, and/or other various degrading names.

Boys raised on hurtful and oppressive “jokes” grow up with misogynistic mentalities that turn them into men who cause women to hold onto their keys tighter, walk on the other side of the sidewalk, and force themselves to learn how to tune out unsolicited catcalls on the street.

Boys in the modern world are not being taught about consent. Sex is similar to boxing; if one party does not consent, you are committing a crime. Consent is the foundation of intercourse or even any physical contact you wish to bestow upon your partner. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for permission.

The #MeToo campaign has provided another much needed platform for women’s voices. Media has served as an easier way for women to publicize their views and experiences to create a more comfortable and safe atmosphere when discussing a topic that demands sensitivity and respect.

A father, a husband, or a boyfriend will protect his daughter, his wife, or his girlfriend from any possible danger without a care for his own life. But now it’s time to realize that being a girl is a danger in itself. It’s time to realize that we must protect women because they are people, too; not because we have some relation to you in any way.

1 in 3 women will fall victim to emotional or physical abuse in their life, while 1 in 6 American women has been the victim of attempted or completed rape. An average of 321,000 women are raped every year, yet only 6 of every 1,000 rapists will be jailed. For immediate help regarding sexual abuse, call 800-656-HOPE to be routed to your local RAINN organization.