Taking Down Predator Harvey Weinstein

Continued sexual harassment allegations against Weinstein shine light on the larger predator problem in Hollywood

Hollywood sexual predator Harvey Weinstein

After a “New York Times” article published decades of sexual misconduct allegations against mega Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein on October 5, 2017, the ensuing month and a half since has been an unceasing report of allegations, investigations, and lawsuits.

In the days following the initial allegations, four of the nine board of directors of The Weinstein Company had resigned and Weinstein had been fired. Furthermore, Weinstein was removed from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the Producers Guild of America, and has been stripped of his Du Bois medal.

By now, over sixty women have accused Weinstein of sexual assault, and many have declared being pursued by his legal team and pressured, intimidated by verbal threat, and offered senseless amounts of money to keep quiet about the occurrences.

Moreover, the United Kingdom, New York, Los Angeles, and Beverly Hills police departments have opened extensive investigations into the numerous allegations against Weinstein. On October 10, 2017, Georgina Chapman, Weinstein’s wife, announced she was leaving him and filed for divorce.

Certainly, there are questions as to how many people either knew, or had suspicions about Weinstein. Jeffrey Katzenberg, Scott Rosenberg, Quentin Tarantino, and Weinstein’s chauffeur all claim to have at least some suspicion of Weinstein’s apparent temper, belittlement, and manipulation. Following the publication of these allegations, many of Weinstein’s employees and colleagues have addressed the media to deny any recollection or knowledge of his odious behavior. In contrast, others have spoken with various news sources to condemn Weinstein’s coworkers for remaining complicit, and failing to address his unchecked assertion of oppressive power over others.

Following Weinstein’s alienation from Hollywood, many other sexual assault victims have taken to the media to make their stories public and to accuse various other prominent and powerful men across multiple industries, including: John Besh (celebrity chef), Mark Halperin (journalist), Roy Price (head of Amazon Studios), Chris Savino (Nickelodeon animator), Kevin Spacey (actor), Robert Scoble (blogger), and James Toback (Hollywood screenwriter).

Subsequently, the recurrent news coverage given to Weinstein’s allegations have brought the United States Commander-in-Chief, Donald Trump, back into the headlines with his dozen of previous sexual harassment accusations, and has even prompted George Bush Elder to publish an apology for a sexual harassment accusation. Anita Hill expressed her hope that the revelations about Weinstein will prompt “people to revisit the women [who accused Trump],” and hopefully lead to some level of accountability for his actions.

Indisputably, the global media scale that Weinstein’s sexual misconduct has taken has begun to change the way society addresses sexual predators in positions of authority, and has allowed more victims to come forward sharing their stories with the expectancy of support from their peers and the media.