• January 21Eagles and Patriots advance to 2018 Super Bowl

• January 19'New California' declares independence from the state

• January 19United States government shut down

• August 28Thousands Stranded in Houston With Waters Still Rising; Death Toll Rises to 10

Filed under El Mo News, Showcase, Sports

It’s “Another Day of Sun” at the Second Annual Fall Festival of the Arts

"I'm reaching for the heights And chasing all the lights that shine And when they let you down You'll get up off the ground 'Cause morning rolls around And it's another day of sun"

Ms. Keeley and the girls of the Vanguard Dance Company at the second annual Fall Festival of the Arts (Photo via Justin Luong).

Walking into the Nature Center on the sunny day of October 27, 2017, the tap of feet complimented the jazzy intro to “Another Day of Sun” from the Oscar winning film “La La Land.” The broadway-esque dance choreographed by Professional Dance and Art of Dance Composition teacher, Ms. Claire Keeley, was performed by the Vanguard Dance Company (VDC) and Vizion Crew (VC) at the second annual Fall Festival of the Arts. The array of colorful, floral dresses and bright polos gave the Halloween-themed festival a lively aura.

The dance was first introduced to VDC and VC in the beginning of September, and was promptly put on hold with the chaos of the Fall Sports Assembly and the Homecoming Assembly. The dance was then revived in early October, and came  together through the combination of choreography, formations, and transitions. The final details were the addition of “facials” and costumes. The VDC and VC were then ready to take the Nature Center stage.

On the morning of the festival, the dancers fixed their makeup, put on their costumes, stretched, and ran the dance at the studio before walking to the Nature Center as a unified team. The dance was then performed twice during each period and once after school, for a total of nine performances. Though nine performances sound extreme, it gave the dancers an opportunity to work on their endurance and continuous performance abilities. In between performances, the dancers engaged in photoshoots with resident photographer and VC captain, Justin Luong.

Each crowd big or small, gave great feedback and cheers. Sharing compliments that the dance was really fun yet technical, and truly captured the essence of “La La Land.” Look for the Vanguard Dance Company and the Vizion Crew at their next performance in the Holiday Assembly on December 15, 2017.