• December 8State of Emergency declared in California as 6 fires rage on

• November 21Trump administration places sanctions on North Korea

• November 19UCLA football coach, Jim Mora, fired... on his birthday

• November 127.2 Earthquake on border of Iran/Iraq kills 62

Filed under Feature

Flag Code

The real disrespect of the flag happens every where in America

On June 14, 1777, the Continental Congress passed an act establishing an official flag for the new nation. In chapter 1, Title 4 of the United States Code, there is an established set of advisory rules for display and care of the national flag.

Before Flag Day, there were no state or federal regulations that specified the ‘correct’ way to display the United States Flag. On June 14, 1923, the National Flag Conference adopted the National Flag Code.

Representatives of the Army and Navy attended the National Flag Conference and they evolved their own procedures for the display of the flag. The President of the United States can modify these guidelines but they have not been changed in nearly 100 years.

There are many ways to disrespect the U.S. Flag, and it happens in America everywhere. The Flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be drawn back or up or in folds.

This means that every American flag swimsuit and Old Navy flag shirt is considered disrespectful. In the code, it also sates that, “The Flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.”

Every single time a football game or soccer game shows an American flag laid flat across the entire field, it shows disrespect and is in violation of the flag code.

Another way that is contemptuous to the flag is the pattern printed on disposable products. The flag should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs or napkins.

Every 4th of July or Memorial Day, is a day filled with Flag disrespect and it continues to happen because the flag code wasn’t even acknowledged until NFL player Kaepernick kneeled during the National Anthem and most Americans got offended for his ‘disrespect’ when they actually do the real disrespecting in other ways.

In other words, the flag is already disrespected in many ways because it’s mistaken for patriotism. But patriotism is not standing up and saluting the flag, it’s fighting for what is right based on the constitution and the values where our country was founded.

1 Comment

One Response to “Flag Code”

1. Scarlett on October 17th, 2017 11:57 am

Mia this article is eloquently written and blissfully factual! Great job this is one of my favorite articles you’ve written

[Reply]

*

Flag Code