Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

The Kneelers

Why hundreds of NFL players are justified by kneeling during the national anthem

On August 26, 2016, 49-ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick made headlines when he kneeled during the national anthem in an NFL preseason game. Kaepernick said, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” A year later, Kaepernick still impacts all 32 NFL teams, although he is not an active player.
On September 22, 2017, President Donald Trump made an enemy with the NFL, when he made vulgar comments regarding team owners and players who partook in kneeling during the national anthem. These comments and many other injustices in our country have caused many more players to kneel.
The football field acts as a platform for players, coaches, and owners to voice their opinion individually and as a team. They have done exactly that; by kneeling, they convey their thoughts and attempt to bring change upon our country.
All NFL teams responded differently to the #TakeaKnee uprising. Entire teams such as the Tennessee Titans and the Seattle Seahawks stayed in the locker room demonstrating neutrality and or disapproval of the conflict. Yet, all 32 teams had players that opposed the national anthem.
The players who kneeled were justified in doing so, they are obligated to be the voice of change for the country and for the younger generation. Donald Trump’s voice will always be heard because he is in a situation of ultimate power. The players who united by kneeling are trying to have their voice be a response to Trump.
Kneelers are not disrespecting the soldiers who serve our country, in fact many war veterans support the protest. They kneel in protest of Trump’s attempts to divide the NFL. Kneeling is a responsible action towards the current state of our country, and it does not disobey any laws or NFL rules.
Trump may be attacking the NFL in hopes of creating a distraction of failing, again, to pass a new healthcare bill, his endorsement of Sen. Luther Strange losing the Alabama Republican primary, and or the hurricane in Puerto Rico. Regardless of his intentions, players must continue voicing themselves by kneeling for as long as necessary.