• December 8State of Emergency declared in California as 6 fires rage on

• November 21Trump administration places sanctions on North Korea

• November 19UCLA football coach, Jim Mora, fired... on his birthday

• November 127.2 Earthquake on border of Iran/Iraq kills 62

Filed under El Mo News, Sports

The Rowdiest of Them All

After the Villa Park football game, El Modenas student section recived county-wide recognition

The El Mo club got all county recognition for its pep

At every El Mo game, whether it be home or away, somewhere in the stands you’ll find the student section, affectionately (and accurately) dubbed the Rowdy Rooters,a club on campus devoted to school spirit through sports. The Rowdy Rooters were recognized September 22nd.

The group was named OCVarsity Student Section of the week for their outstanding spirit in the football game against Villa Park. An honor that sophomore club President Peyton Bullock said, “Wasn’t a shock. I’m proud we received recognition for what we do, but I knew we had a lot of spirit that night”.

Also playing a big part in rowdy rooters is ASB president, Senior Alyssa Barazza. On the honor, Barazza said “It feels well deserved; we’re one of the best”

However, both students also feel a deeper meaning of the Rowdy Rooters agreeing that the importance lies in the students, and as Bullock put it, “it’s school unity, everybody working together and giving support”

But what makes the Rowdy Rooters so rowdy? It starts with the cheers. Every year ASB makes a new batch to add on the cult classics.

This year’s additions include “Who’s in the house?” where after being yelled out by hype man, Senior, Kevin Leatherman the crowd yells back “El Mo’s in the house” alongside oldies such as “I believe that we will win”.

Another aspect that makes the Rowdy Rooters so great is the planning that goes into each and every game. Before each week begins, a theme is planned. Past themes have included, but aren’t limited to, black out, white out, red out, cardinal and gold, Hawaiian shirt, and on a rare Halloween Saturday game, a costume theme.

Other things unique to Rowdy Rooters are blaring music, handmade posters, and what’s known simply as, “the roller coaster,” an event where the whole student section turns on their phone lights, and by Barazza’s direction move as though they were on a roller coaster.

No matter where they might be, the Rowdy Rooters provide school spirit and energize whoever  is on the field, and after September 22, 2017, the were finally recognized as the best at what they do.