Counselor Advice On Finding The Right College For You

College application season is here, and El Modena’s counselors on campus have advice on finding seniors the perfect school

With college application deadlines growing nearer, seniors can be heard all across campus discussing their college choices. However for many others, the search for the right college fit is still underway. Counselors Mrs. Echavarria and Mrs. Parizeau are dedicated to helping the senior class amongst their search for the perfect college and advice to get acceptance to the perfect college.

Echavarria gave specific advice on finding the perfect college fit, “In which, students know what they want to study, they can search colleges by major, but I always tell seniors, ‘You don’t have to have it all figured out. If you don’t know what you want to do at 18, that’s okay.” She continued that, “If you aren’t sure what you want to major in, look for colleges where you fit their caliber of student, and definitely make sure if you visit the college or watch a virtual tour to get an understanding as to which what that school is about.” Echavarria ultimately noted to search by preference in location, major, and school size because, “Those are all things to consider relating to your personality.”

Parizeau offered similar guidance, suggesting, “The more factors you can look at, the better.” She proceeded with a two step process, “One: visit as many schools as you can. Two: know yourself, and see if you can see yourself on the campus. You have to know if you want a big school or a small school. Do I want the adventure of going out of state? Do I want to stay close to home? You can even search on college match services, using your major and other factors.”

If the college search continues to remain strenuous, Echavarria advises that “Cal States and UC’s are my top choice for El Modena students because they offer the best tuition.” She added, “we have a lot of students who go off to Chapman, Cal State Fullerton, and UCI because we’re in their local area.” Parizeau offered a more suggestion of “Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, because it’s a really great blend: it’s far enough away, it’s on the beach, it’s mellow, it’s beautiful, and I just think it’s a great school.”

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Counselor Advice On Finding The Right College For You”

1. grace oveson on October 9th, 2017 11:58 am

Great article!

[Reply]

2. Samantha Venegas on October 9th, 2017 11:59 am

It’s comforting to see the counselor’s share their advice for students preparing for college !!

[Reply]

3. Colby hurdle on October 9th, 2017 11:59 am

This is really important for all seniors looking to find the find the right path after high school

[Reply]

4. Ely Bustos on October 9th, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks now I know i don’t have to specifically know what major I want to pursue just explore and see what fits me .. The counslers advice really help ! 😌

[Reply]

*