Filed under Uncategorized

Vanguard Volleyball Serves Up A New Manager

Newest freshman manager will support the team as they play their way through the season

Just as the school year starts up again, so do the fall sports. For the 2017-2017 school year, first-year freshman manager Vivienne Tran will have to to look out for the books as well as the balls.

Frontline: How do you feel about being part of the team as a non player?

Vivienne Tran: I don’t feel as excluded as people would think I do, and all of the players are really friendly.

FL: What do you think will be the biggest challenge you’ll face as manager?

VT: I think that the biggest challenge I’ll face will be the score keeping at the games. It’s a big responsibility and I would upset a lot of people if I mess up.

FL: Is there any bond between you and any of the players?

VT: A few of my friends are on the team, and I felt really sad when I didn’t make the team, but I’m glad I was able to become the manager.

FL: Does Coach Olbright have a plan for the team this year as a new coach?

VT: I think Coach Olbright’s goal for the team this year is to have them improve the most that they can to be as successful as possible.

FL: Because you aren’t part of the playing team, would you/are you considering trying out in your following high school years?

VT: I don’t think I will try out again because I don’t feel like it’s the right sport for me to be in.

FL: What is the biggest misconception about being the manager?

VT: I think the biggest misconception about being a manager is that you don’t have enough skills to play the sport or that you aren’t responsible enough to join a team. But like I said, I don’t feel excluded or anything.

FL: Are you planning on becoming the manager for both fall and spring volleyball? 

VT: I don’t think I will become the manager for the spring because I think I will try out for a spring sport.

FL: Is this job overwhelming for your first high school year and first sport?

VT: The job is not too overwhelming at the moment, but I think the job will get increasingly difficult and different as we go deeper into the season.

FL: What’s the best part about being a manager?

VT: I think the best part would be that I am getting a better understanding of the game itself and I can watch my friends play.

FL: How much dedication is there to be part of a team?

VT: I think there is 100% dedication for helping the team stay together and assisting the coach through whatever obstacles we run into throughout the season.

Catch the first varsity game tomorrow, Tuesday August 29, at 6 PM. Support vanguard volleyball.