William Wallace and the Future of YouTube

Senior William Wallace grows his YouTube following through creating vlogs, music videos, and camera how-to’s

Wallace in the midst of photographing the natural world (Photo via William Wallace).

With an extensive portfolio as a vlogger, music video director, and camera guru, senior William Wallace continues to gain traction on YouTube with likes, comments, and subscribers.

Frontline: When did you start your YouTube account and what sparked your interest in vlogging?
William Wallace: I started in October of 2015, during my sophomore year. My main inspirations to start my channel were Casey Neistat and Ben Brown.

FL: How has your skills in photography transferred over to videography?
WW: Well, I feel as if you are a photographer going to videography you have a much higher chance at producing quality content because you know most camera settings and how to work the cameras. Along with that, I originally got my camera for videography, but then got into photography.

FL: How does your YouTube channel help your photography/videography business?
WW: My YouTube channel is a main promoter for the music videos I film. To go along with that, if people watch my other videos they recognize me as Willy Wally the vlogger. So it gives me more reach as a director and vloger, overall resulting in more business.

FL: What subjects do you like to vlog about?
WW: It usually includes the day-to-day stuff, but I do enjoy having conversations with the camera from time to time about things that are currently happening to me.

FL: Where do you get video ideas from?
WW: The majority of my video are vlogs of me simply feeling what I’m doing that day. Sometimes I include a Q&A which are usually pretty fun to do. Then, the majority of my other videos are on camera equipment, so typically whatever piece of gear I want to talk about I do a video. Those tend to give me more views.

FL: What Youtubers continually inspire you to vlog?
WW: My current inspiration has to be Ben Brown, and has been for years. He’s a beast.

FL: What is the hardest part about vlogging, and how do you fit it in with your school schedule?
WW: I’m about to begin doing daily videos in September, so it’s going to be very hard to work with my school schedule, but I feel like it’s something I have to do. I had days last year where I would go to school at 7:30 a.m. and follow the school day by filming a music video that led me to get home around 11:00 p.m.

FL: How long and how strenuous is the process of editing a vlog?
WW: Editing a video can honestly take anywhere from an hour and a half to five hours. It truly all depends on the content.

FL: Have you inspired any friends/peers to also vlog?
WW: I did inspire one of my friends and he did one video. Then realized it’s not all fun and games.

FL: Where do you hope for your YouTube channel to take you?
WW: The dream for my YouTube channel is to have somewhat of a following. It might be a longshot, but it’s definitely a risk I’m willing to take. You have to take risks, without them you can’t get anywhere.

To check out Wallace’s extensive portfolio of work you can subscribe to his YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6wPBsLjnJABGZTdBfsnR3Q) or visit his website (http://www.willywallyphoto.com/).

2 Comments

2 Responses to “William Wallace and the Future of YouTube”

1. Natalia on August 27th, 2017 12:07 am

This was a very well formatted and written article Ashley! Your journalist writing skills are always prominent in your articles and interviews. This piece was no exception!

What I liked the most about it was the honesty of how the behind the scenes of this type work can be.

I see content similar to what William Wallace makes but never really understood the amount of time and dedication it requires.

I wish Wallace the best of luck on his aspirations and dreams.

2. Ethan Simons on August 29th, 2017 12:11 pm

What an interesting guy! Good work Ashley, very well done!

*

• William Wallace and the Future of YouTube

Columns

Silly Rabbit, Trick-or-Treating is For Kids

FrontlineFeed

Cheering for the Cure

Cross Country Gets Their Feet Moving

Winning by 1 stroke

• Music

The Rise of K-Pop

• Media&Arts

Artist of the Month Interview

• Feature

Local Job Opportunity

• Showcase

Florida Mourns Another Shooting

Columns

Straws Suck, But That’s Their Job

• Feature

The Story of A Champion