Filed under Showcase

Young Forever

Every challenge along the way with courage I will face. I will battle every day to claim my rightful place.

Growing up, I moved a total of six times, never graduating with the same group of kids, or keeping the same friends for longer than three years.

It was no surprise that I grew up socially awkward. I never prioritized making friends, or ever went out. I became accustomed to living a secluded and private life and honestly had no problem with it because I never knew a life other than what I had.

As depressing as it sounds, I discovered a lot about who I am this way. Without the influence of others, I created who I am now and who I want to become.

The infatuation people have with wanting to uphold their reputation with others and making people proud of what they can do isn’t something I completely understand, let alone agree with. Without having people around me to criticize me, I was free to try out anything I wanted without feeling like my friends wouldn’t be impressed.

Younger kids have a constant burden over their heads. In order to be seen as successful, one must excel in academics, broadcast a flourishing social life on social media, and have a plan for their future life once they have graduated. This is nothing new. Teenagers are fully aware of these qualifications; they can either choose to become riddled with anxiety while they attempt to keep up, or can be seen as someone who hasn’t reached their full potential in life compared to others.

I moved to Orange County in 2013, and have successfully completed my high school years in the same place. During my time here I managed to make and keep friendships that I hope to maintain even after we graduate. These friends, completely unique in their own way, have shown me their different approaches to life. But I also saw them weighed down by the same burden: Youth.

When we reach junior year, we are forced to think about where we are going to go the next year, and whether or not we are good enough to go where we want. Big name colleges are big for a reason, but are also generic in their own way.

Whether someone is admitted to a certain college or not, should not determine their entire future. I watched friends think of themselves of less after being denied admittance to their dream colleges. I have watched friends believe their entire future will change after challenged with a new bump in the road. All of this was such a ridiculous concept to grasp; a single letter could control someone’s future. “Don’t be trapped in someone else’s dream.”

I wanted my friends to understand their life was worth more than the name of a college. No matter where they went, it would be up to them in the end to choose how to live their life. Life is not a race. We all end up in the same state at the end of our lives.

“The dawn right before the sun rises is the the darkest.”

We are going to be freshly graduated soon. We are going to be released into the world so free and young. We have so much time to do so much. How would anybody think they couldn’t do what they dreamed of just because of one misfortunate event? How is one suppose to continue living if they believed every single thing that opposed them meant the end?

The amount of free-will we are privileged with surpasses any amount of acceptance or denial letters. The power we have as the future generation that will lead the world should be enough of an acceptance letter to tell you: you are important.

Even though we do not have the power to predict the future, we have the power to control it. It is up to us to decide just where we will place ourselves in this world. It may not be our choice on which road we may take there, but it is certainly our choice to decide what shoes we put on in the morning.

“If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl.”

Stay fresh my friends. Stay as fresh as a salad.