• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Feature

Don’t let life get away from you

A brief reflection on high school, and the future ahead

To all the graduating seniors: don’t let the end of the school year bring a feeling of uncertainty and dread. While life beyond high school indeed is uncertain, don’t become complacent in that uncertainty. Make a plan for yourself, but not just a plan of “Well I got this part time job, sweet.” Make it a plan that matters, enroll in college, even if it’s part time at first, strive everyday towards bettering yourself, and creating a better life for not only yourself, but for your family, and those close to you.

I see far too often where people graduate high school, and start their first year of college, and then dropout because it’s “not for them”. Don’t go into college, or the rest of your life with the expectation that it will be easy, or fit perfectly into your idea of how life should be. There will be disappointments, and it may be harder for you than for other people, you may not get your degree by 22, and have that perfect job that pays all the bills, but what matters is the journey, and starting out on that journey. The most important part of being successful in life is showing up, whether that be to your job, to your class, or to your commitments, show up. Moving forward in life is a step of faith, especially when the path you are taking is one that has not been blazed for you. Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” We are passing go, take advantage of that. Ex nihilo nihil fit-Out of nothing, nothing comes.

To all of the underclassman, that feel as though they are walking through the valley of the shadow of death, get a fresh perspective on high school. It may not be the most exciting, or even most rewarding time of your life, but it surely is the last time so much is done for you when we give so little back.

The opportunity that high school gives is unparalleled. High school is a “You v. You” situation, there is no one that sets a limit on how much you can achieve in high school, and that cannot be said for much else in life. If you want to be the next NHS president, or the class Valedictorian, you can, you only need to be willing to work hard.

Don’t be held back by what others think of you, learn from your teachers, they are there to provide you with all the knowledge they have, take advantage of that, even if your friends think you are lame for asking a lot of questions, do it.

Knowing the right people, and having a reputable character wherever you go, goes a long way in life, because that is what carries weight, the good word of respectable people, not how often you party, or how many friends you have. It is about you, and being yourself always, in every situation, that will never fail you. Right now, the possibilities are endless, truly, do not forget that, do not sell yourself short.

“If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.” Thomas A. Edison