Filed under Showcase

Finding Your Groove

Let the record spin and cut your groove

Hiking+at+the+San+Pedro+River+in+Sierra+Vista%2C+Arizona.+
Hiking at the San Pedro River in Sierra Vista, Arizona.

Abby Sheppard

Abby Sheppard

We begin each day with the same routine. We wake, get ready and get in our cars to fight the morning traffic. But eventually there comes a day when life throws us a curve, where we are thrown out of our specific routines. When that occurs, we are left with a feeling. The feeling is almost awkward. It is like we wish we were back doing the same routine we were tired of. During that we think, “I should have done this better, or I could have done this.” That is when we realize we take life’s simple performances for granted and wished we could have been in our groove.

There is a song called “Cut Your Groove” by Charlie Worsham. Whether you are a country music fan or not, I recommend you give it a listen. This song sings life’s steps from beginning to end. From the memories we make, from the highs and lows of life and how, “you got a melody, make ‘em hear it.” You are given a record and it is your job to make it spin and create a song. It is for you to make the lyrics be heard and for the record to spin.

As for life, a record continues to spin, there is no way we can stop it. When compared to life, and the continuous spinning, we have to accept what happens, good or bad. We cannot stop singing just because a pause or bump happens. Eventually, the record continues to spin, finishing a story, as should your life. A record is a piece of art that in a certain amount of minutes tells a story. By the end of our time we should have a groove, as when we drop the pin; find where we belong. At times we may notice the pause or bump while listening or singing along but that only helps us relate to life’s encounters.

Life is like that sewing machine your grandma has, that you probably have never seen. The sewing machine will move up and down as will your life. But did you ever realize the needle? The whole point of the machine is to fix a piece of torn clothing. The needle is required. Soon enough the needle will find its groove; fixing what’s torn and it will continue along the path. When you find your groove in life, where you belong it’s your choice to lead in the direction you want and find your groove.

When negative situations occur, often they are for the better. I, like anyone else, have gone through unfortunate situations but ultimately have come out of them stronger. They have made me want to find my groove and groove to it. They say, “Everything happens for a reason,” and that is a simple statement that can later explain a million things. If I have not gone through those situations I would not have found my groove. My groove is life itself. I know where I belong, I know what I want and what makes me happy and unhappy. I know I want a life full of travel, happiness, and experiences good or bad.

But what is the groove to you? The groove is where you belong. You are a wondering soul looking for that other piece that connects you to what you want and what makes you happy. You will learn through the rest of high school that you are still trying to find your groove. What makes you want to groove? Is it writing, music, adventure or reading? Find that one “thing” and cut your groove.

My advice to you is, find your groove. Do not take life’s simple pleasures and activities in your daily routine for granted. Just as you are pulled from the daily routines, you’ll wish you had found your groove before. Regardless of the broken records that will happen,or the broken needles be sure you allow them to help you create your groove. No pause, or bump should take away from the happiness and adventure your life has to offer. Allow the continuous spinning of the to help you create your groove.