Filed under Feature

90’s and Now

The contrast between the 90s and today and our infatuation with the decade

NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 25:  HILVERSUM  Photo of Kurt COBAIN and NIRVANA, Kurt Cobain recording in Hilversum Studios, playing Takamine acoustic guitar. His suicide was one of the most rattling deaths of the 90s.

NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 25: HILVERSUM Photo of Kurt COBAIN and NIRVANA, Kurt Cobain recording in Hilversum Studios, playing Takamine acoustic guitar. His suicide was one of the most rattling deaths of the 90s.

Michel Linssen/Redferns

Michel Linssen/Redferns

They say that everything old becomes new again, and the saying has not been more obvious than in the past few years as we have seen grunge, 90s TV shows, and scrunchies come back with a vengeance.

Could it be that our generation, with the majority of us born in the mid-to-late 90s, are in love with the decade we never got to experience fully? Yes, the early 2000s were very 90s-esque with the fashion trends, and most of us have likely caught all the reruns of Friends and Fresh Prince of Bel-air, but we weren’t immersed in it. We didn’t get to watch these shows as they became iconic, or get to witness 90s bands in concert, or the shock of Kurt Cobain’s death. It was a decade worth experiencing, and we missed it.

But we love it nonetheless. From the velvet dresses, denim overalls, and plaid skirts to the combat boots, ripped jeans, and button ups over graphic t-shirts. Even the somewhat questionable trends like frosted tips and baggy clothes, we are infatuated.

Life and society have changed astronomical amounts since the 90s. We went from pagers and payphones to touchscreen cell phones (and touchscreen everything). We have drones that deliver packages and cars that drive themselves. You don’t have to leave your house to get food other than pizza, because there’s multiple different phone apps that will deliver anything you want. We have music, movies, and games at our fingertips with iPods, tablets, and cell phone apps, rather than braving Blockbuster, relying on the radio, or going to an arcade.

In the 90s, we had Boy Meets World and Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Today, we have Girl Meets World and The Walking Dead. We had Rugrats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Dexter’s Laboratory; Now we have Monster High, Bob’s Burgers, and Gravity Falls.

There’s no doubt just about everything has changed, but we all still love the stories told through slightly grainy film, the iconic fashion trends, and the nostalgia that goes with it all. We may have been unable to experience everything the 90s had to offer, but we are still the last generation of 90s kids and proud.