• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Showcase

The Importance of Family

How my family has shaped me into the person I am today and for the future

Ever since I was a little girl, my parents have continually been by my side, and as our family grew, so have my two younger brothers, Caden and James. Each person has shown characteristics that I have always wanted to weave into who I want to become. My dad; extremely intelligent and hard working, but knows how to tell a good joke. Caden; always determined, thinks about the good of others, and is a social butterfly. James; creative and always thinking outside the box and loves using his imagination. And my mom; a philanthropic soul with a heart full of gold.
Each of these qualities have built me into someone I am and someone I want to become. I have always tried to push myself and take more than I can handle, which could be considered a blessing and a curse, which I definitely inherit from my mom. My mom has influenced me in a number of ways, but the biggest way has to be through community service and looking out for the good of others.
My mother and I got the chance to participate in National Charity League, a mother-daughter organization, which has been a huge part of my life and taught me more as I got older.
During my six years in this organization, the members have grown to become a second family. Each of the girls that made the experience worthwhile and showed the importance our impact had on the community. Although this is true, another part of this was the growth of myself through helping and working with others in this program. It has helped me recognize the good in the world and want to strive to make it a better place to live in.
I have tried my best to rub off onto my younger brothers and become someone they can look up to. I want them to believe in endless possibilities and keep dreaming. I want them to know their sister is their number one supporter. The bond and love I have for my brothers is irreplaceable, and because I am the oldest, there is always some elements of pressure placed on me. I know I’m not alone when I say that family is the most important thing anyone can have. With all the support and love I have had throughout my life I know I’m extremely lucky and thankful to know I will always have people there for me.
Mom, Dad, Caden, and James, thank you all for being my rock throughout my journey in high school and in the future, your love does not go unnoticed.