Filed under Uncategorized

Why “Dear White People” Isn’t Offensive: Like, at All.

A real person of color explains why calling out white people isn't wrong or "racist"

“Dear White People,” a new Netflix original series, has finally become a TV show. The description reads “the lives of four black students at a (predominately white) Ivy League college.” (Netflix description)

Samantha White, a black student attending the university, runs a radio program dedicated to calling out the offensive actions held against the small group of fellow people of color. To nobody’s surprise, white people become extremely offended to find out that they’re racists. The show has received tons of backlash from white people, calling the streaming service a disgrace for condoning a show that “oppresses” the white race. But do white people know what racial oppression is/feels like?

Many white tweeters pledged to stop using the streaming service until the show is removed. A counterargument started a thread on Twitter. What if there were a show called “Dear Black People?” Would it be racist if white people starred in a show called “Dear Black People?” The answer is yes. If people of color are the minorities, where in America would you find a place where black people outnumbered four white people in a university? Nowhere, because that will never exist. If you have watched the show, these comments prove the show’s entire point. A white fraternity in the university copies Samantha’s posters as satire and to mock her, actively uses blackface at parties, and uses racial slurs. Speaking of racial slurs, if they’re “just words,” why do the words “you’re being racist” offend you so much?

The show calls out white people for the racist actions they do. Isn’t that what we do in America? We call people out if we know they’re wrong? Why does free speech (the first amendment, mind you) only apply to white people when they’re being racists? Why can’t people of color use it if we’re calling out people for racism, something that discriminates nonwhite people?

All in all, if you are a white person who believes that “Dear White People” is offensive, or that it oppresses you, it doesn’t. If you’re uncomfortable that people are calling you out for something you are doing that is clearly wrong, maybe you’re the problem.