• September 19Major Earthquake in Mexico

• August 28Japan Raises Alarm After North Korea Missile Launch

• August 28Thousands Stranded in Houston With Waters Still Rising; Death Toll Rises to 10

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Music

Kendrick and politics

Kendrick Lamar recently released his brand new album: DAMN. The critically acclaimed rapper, is like no other. He’s really more than a rapper, he’s a storyteller. DAMN.  is written from the perspective of a Kendrick Lamar who grew up without a father to guide him away from the sinful temptations outside his home

Kendrick frames the struggle of creating art within a world full of generational violence. He isn’t pulling any punches on how bad things are in America in general, but for young black men in particular. He uses his music and his voice to promote talking about issues in today’s society. We could see many other artists doing this back in the day, for example: Rage Against the Machine. A rap metal band formed in 1991, known for their controversial lyrics. The band members participated in political protests and other activism to advocate these beliefs. The band primarily saw its music as a vehicle for social activism. Zack De La Rocha believed spreading his ideas through art, “because music has the power to cross borders, to break military sieges and to establish real dialogue.”

Another popular band: Green Day. Green Day affected the way some people viewed politics and media. They wrote a song named Holiday, which was meant to be a hit against George Bush. But instead it gave off the idea that it was anti-american when in reality it was anti-war.